C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No-Start Issue; Bumping Manual Shifter makes it crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:47 AM
slimflem
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No-Start Issue; Bumping Manual Shifter makes it crank

UPDATE:

My problem ended up being very simple. One of the starter solenoid wires was super loose and had about 1/4" wiggle room and not making proper contact. No other issues.
------

Hi everyone. I am also experiencing the no-start issue with my '03 Z06. It is now happening almost every crank. I have read and read and gained lots of knowledge for troubleshooting, but I have yet to hear of anyone mention this...

Typically when I am having the no-start issue, everything acts normal, except nothing when turning over to START. While I am holding the key in the START position, and bump the manual shifter back-n-forth, typically while in neutral, it'll crank fine after a few wiggles (bumping the edges of the shifter gate). Additionally, sometimes while leaving the car in reverse, and bumping it around but not pulling it into neutral will also cause it to crank.

Anyone else having the same scenario where you can bump the manual shifter and get it to crank?

Are there any contactors, switches, relays, etc. down under the shifter that could cause this?

One code is currently logged:

58-SDM U1096 H

---
Incredible wealth of knowledge here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-problem.html

Thanks for ANY insight. Last night I was stranded for 2 hours before it decided to crank.

Last edited by slimflem; 11-24-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:58 AM
slimflem
Intermediate

When putting the key in, and turning to ON position and letting it sit, the Security light comes on solid for a few seconds then turns off. No blinks/flashes/etc.

Single code at this point:

58-SDM U1096 H

(I just test cranked it about 10 times, no issues cranked on each first try.)
Old 11-20-2014, 12:10 PM
slimflem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Not a problem with reading the pellet on the key. If it were then the security light would stay on.

I would go through the diagnosis portion of the ignition switch in my previous post. If the voltages across the test fuses are within a tenth or so of battery voltage then the problem most likely is the starter solenoid. Next time it will not crank get a helper that can hold the key in the start position while you get a broom handle on the starter and wack the end of the broom handle soundly with a hammer. Shock through the broom handle to the starter will likely cause the car to start.

The code you have is NOT related to the No Start problem. Clear it and drive the car and repull codes. Chances are it will not return.
I will do so, thank you. I am having trouble locating the starter/solenoid. I will dig some more. Can you possibly post where it is located?

I did swap the battery with an Optima Red Top a few months ago, possibly that code is related to that swap. I will clear it.

I will do fuse tests later today and post back results.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

There are no switches or connectors at the shifter. If the wiggling of the shifter truly does make the difference between cranking and not cranking, then it's possible that the wiggling causes enough shake or vibration of the car to create a more positive connection at the crank circuit failure. Take a look at the starter, they're known for no start conditions.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:47 PM
slimflem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
There are no switches or connectors at the shifter. If the wiggling of the shifter truly does make the difference between cranking and not cranking, then it's possible that the wiggling causes enough shake or vibration of the car to create a more positive connection at the crank circuit failure. Take a look at the starter, they're known for no start conditions.
Yeah man, it's for real. It for sure gets the car cranked. I'll add your suggestion to my list for troubleshooting. Thank you.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:30 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

order a solenoid from ebay for 25 shipped. Swap it out be happy it's pretty easy. Been there done that
Old 11-21-2014, 07:42 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You could have a bad ground, bumping the shifter could wiggle the torque tube just enough to cause an intermittent ground.

You might try taking a jumper cable and grounding the block to the neg on the battery.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:44 AM
slimflem
Intermediate

UPDATE:

My problem ended up being very simple. One of the starter solenoid wires was super loose and had about 1/4" wiggle room and not making proper contact. No other issues.

Get notified of new replies

To No-Start Issue; Bumping Manual Shifter makes it crank

Quick Reply: No-Start Issue; Bumping Manual Shifter makes it crank