C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please talk me out of selling my vette

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:31 PM
2KMYCorvette
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Please talk me out of selling my vette

I am considering of selling my car since the differential decided to go and the clutch as well at the same time. I am not to sure on the transmission either.

If I do decide on replacing the rear end, what should also be replaced and how much would it cost? I have read and done a little research on the rear end and so far I can find the differential for $500 for a 3.42 ratio (very hard to come by). Clutch and flywheel is gonna be another $700 and idk if the transmission is out too. A new slave is going to be another $200. Labor for everything could be around $1000.

It's a 2000 M6. Do you think it is worth fixing? I wanted to know if anyone can further explain to me or point me in the right direction to the details of the differential and how it works.

The diff casing cracked pretty bad on the passenger side. Ill post pics...

The service traction/abs is going coming on too. So I might need the EBCM replaced also.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:45 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

My vote is to fix it. If I added correctly youre at about 2400 bucks to fix it. Even if you wanted to sell it/trade it in, you are going to take a serious loss on it with it broke. I guess you could part it out, but me personally Id fix it.

The way I think about things breaking on my car is eventually something is gonna let go. Our cars are a bit more money than the average car to fix but thats all part of owning the car I guess. I put a supercharger on mine and Ive already got the forged shortblock picked out for when it goes boom.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:03 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

You broke it. So now you fix it. Then you go back to driving it and enjoying it. That's how auto ownership works. If repairs don't cost close to the value of the car you fix it. Its not that complicated.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:00 AM
dsipos05
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to replace the clutch on my 2000 FRC a few years back. It was my first time doing it, and with the help of everybody on the board turned out to be pretty straight forward, even with my torque tube blowing its bushing a couple hundred miles after the install. Save your money and get to know your car better by doing the work yourself. You have to remove the whole rear end to do the clutch anyways so that diff job should be easy. If you can get that diff for $500, I'd bet you could do the whole job for a little over a grand, for just the parts. The trannys on these cars are supposed to be pretty rock solid, but if it is messed up you can find them for not so bad prices. If you ain't got the tools, they do cost a pretty penny, but just think of it as an investment, financially and as a personal hobby! I love working on my car, also happens to be the best excuse ever when you need some space from the wife. Good luck man, hope you do the work yourself!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Ray 2000 C5 FRC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dsipos05
Had to replace the clutch on my 2000 FRC a few years back. It was my first time doing it, and with the help of everybody on the board turned out to be pretty straight forward, even with my torque tube blowing its bushing a couple hundred miles after the install. Save your money and get to know your car better by doing the work yourself. You have to remove the whole rear end to do the clutch anyways so that diff job should be easy. If you can get that diff for $500, I'd bet you could do the whole job for a little over a grand, for just the parts. The trannys on these cars are supposed to be pretty rock solid, but if it is messed up you can find them for not so bad prices. If you ain't got the tools, they do cost a pretty penny, but just think of it as an investment, financially and as a personal hobby! I love working on my car, also happens to be the best excuse ever when you need some space from the wife. Good luck man, hope you do the work yourself!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:51 AM
ViperC4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sell it your not worthy...
Old 11-21-2014, 12:22 PM
2KMYCorvette
Intermediate

Thanks guys. Ill have to have a shop do it since the car was my daily driver and i work and go to school so i have no time to work on it. The KBB (since alot of people go based off of that) is 7900 for a good condition C5 with 153000 miles. It also has a good size oil leak that needs to be fixed. My thing is that maybe i should sell it and get a economic car for now and save up for a C6 or a 2007 CTSV.... i was thinking about selling it once i paid it off as well to get something a little newer and more comfortable. But i get sad at the thought of doing it but i know ill get something better later on.

If i don't get the rear 3.42s, is it possible to do a 3.15 swap into it and it'll bolt right up? I know the speedo will be off a bit but thats all i can think of.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KMYCorvette
If i don't get the rear 3.42s, is it possible to do a 3.15 swap into it and it'll bolt right up? I know the speedo will be off a bit but thats all i can think of.
manual cars rear a sensor in the wheel so what ever the ratio the speedometer will read the same, any ratio diff out of a c5 will fit I be leave

153k car that your wanting to to sell in the 1st place I would not fix

have to look at reality car is worth $8000 in good running condition the way it sits maybe $5000 to $6000 so is it worth all the trouble and cost of the repair to get $8000

stock clutch $450
new master $200
used diff $500
labor $1000

total $2150 (maybe more?)

so now you'll get $8000 but you just spent $2150 so was it worth it?

now if you decide that you want to keep he car and drive it then yeah its worth it
Old 11-21-2014, 03:12 PM
hornet7
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Owning a Vette

Owning and Driving a Vette is like a bottle of fine wine and a good woman at your side, you treat them nice and savor your relationship and it will reward you with great acceleration and a lifelong companion, abuse it and it will bite you back.....if you have to get advice or have someone else fix your issues then it sound like you should be driving a Toyota!

Old 11-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Don't sell your Vette.

There. Did that work?
Old 11-21-2014, 09:56 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
You broke it. So now you fix it. Then you go back to driving it and enjoying it. That's how auto ownership works. If repairs don't cost close to the value of the car you fix it. Its not that complicated.
being that i just bought my first vette, after waiting this long 33yo, i wouldnt let much if anything convince me of selling it other than something that was threatening loosing my house. if it has to sit in your garage for a year, just make it happen man.

let us know if we can help in any way
we got your back
Old 11-22-2014, 02:24 PM
2KMYCorvette
Intermediate

Well you guys helped me out here. I am going to fix it. Monster Stage II Clutch package, LS6 slave cylinder, speed bleeder and I found a 3.42 differential $600 shipped.

Last edited by 2KMYCorvette; 11-22-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:01 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KMYCorvette
Well you guys helped me out here. I am going to fix it. Monster Stage II Clutch package, LS6 slave cylinder, speed bleeder and I found a 3.42 differential $600 shipped.
Where did u find the 3.42 shipped? I am looking for one for my 97 before I put an A&A kit on it.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by King Lear
Where did u find the 3.42 shipped? I am looking for one for my 97 before I put an A&A kit on it.
I seen few on #bay last night a couple was 3.42's
Old 11-22-2014, 03:53 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker87
I seen few on #bay last night a couple was 3.42's
I saw one and he wants 750 plus shipping, for that I could probably pay the local speed shop to just put new gears in my housing, I think wont know for sure until Monday
Old 11-22-2014, 04:13 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I saw one and he wants 750 plus shipping, for that I could probably pay the local speed shop to just put new gears in my housing, I think wont know for sure until Monday
Check with Marc at Vettenuts.net and see what he has available. His prices are always very reasonable. He's in Tennessee so shipping shouldn't be too bad.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:50 PM
2KMYCorvette
Intermediate

I found it at vette2vette i one of the vendors on here (i think). I spoke to jason and ordered it yesterday. He said he had 2 left and 2 Z06 ones i believe.

Get notified of new replies

To Please talk me out of selling my vette

Old 11-23-2014, 10:48 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Unless the local speed shop has a lot of experience, don't let them put gears in it. The c5 diff is different than most. You should also get fresh c6z clutches and c6z output shafts. When you put 500rwhp thru it, you'll need the sturdier parts.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Why a monster clutch? Your pedal is going to be harder to depress and thats way more clutch than you need. Put stock clutch and save some $ and keep your soft pedal. I have some low mile stock clutches in stock for $90. We also have a 3.42 that will be here mid week from a 00 FRC.

Your ABS module is the rarest of all on our C5's. It should have a large V on the top of the unit. The V unit was only made for 1.5 years, late 99's and most all 00's. When they start throwing codes 99% of the time they are dead. The only way to get it working again is to replace it with a used one. They sell as soon as i get them in for $1900 and am out of stock at the moment. You will see some for $2400...
Old 11-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

RPM Trans has a lot of stock take off c6z diff parts on hand, they pulled my diff a part to reseal it and found out my ring gear was missing a tooth I thought I was going to get it up the rear but randy was really easy on me and installed 3.73, c6z shaft's & clutches

might want to check with them to see what they'll charge

Quick Reply: Please talk me out of selling my vette