C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Bad thermostat?

Since i got my car a few months ago engine temps have been around 180ish unless i was in heavy traffic then it would creep up, today I was letting it warm up before my wife and I was going out when I got it in I was shocked to see engine temp at 228 degree's its 30* out

i drove the car and temps dropped down to the usual 180's but every stop it seamed to climb faster then it normally does? when we got home I had to change a burnt out headlight and decided to start the car and feel the radiator hoses didnt feel any thing? I opened the coolant tank didnt see any movement then all of a sudden seen coolant flowing to the point a little came out before i could close it peaked at the temp gauge it was again 228*

does this sound like a thermostat?

only thing done resent was swapped my headers and the installer at RPM cracked the sensor on the head (driver side front) but he replaced it but i drove the car home 230 miles from them didnt notice any thing strange?
Old 11-21-2014, 10:58 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

If the tstat was stuck closed it wouldn't cool back down. If it used to run at 180, someone has the low temp stat in it. The PCM should have been reprogrammed to activate the cooling fans to about 190 low and 200 high.
Check the coolant level when the engine is cold, add and purge air if needed.
Check the temp the cooling fans turn on, or not.
Clean debris from between ac condenser and rad.
Run it and post back.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:05 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

edit:

I found the fill level

@ 226/228* the big fan kicks on and cools things down, the little fan is not so I think when they done the headers they might have goofed up the wires or something

Last edited by Stroker87; 11-21-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Sorry my mistake, I thought one only came on at low speed

the drivers fan is not kicking on high or low and from the temps getting to 228* i'm guessing the passenger side is only kicking on hi speed but i'll check that today

Edit:

8VETTE7 thank you for posting that!

I checked all the fuses & relays they was all good but since you posted that I looked the grounds over and must have had a bad connection I didn't see any but its working properly now low speed both fans hold 189*

thanks again!

Last edited by Stroker87; 11-22-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad thermostat?

Quick Reply: Bad thermostat?