C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 cant decide SC or engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 12:46 AM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Default 97 cant decide SC or engine rebuild

I have the stock 2.73 gears, A4 and cant decide on whether buy a new gm performance engine and drop it in the 97 or go with a SC on the 97. My question on the SC if I go with the magnuson or A&A SC kits is do I need to regear for both kits or just the A&A since its RPM based? Next if I do decide to go with a SC instead of rebuild or engine swap should I go ahead and swap out lifters while its all being done? My budget is about 10k for the mods, I already have Kooks 1 3/4 headers, 3in x pipe, no cats w stingers, vararam intake(soon to be for sale). I have fixed all the problems with the 97, wt pm, 2 wh b's, headlamp motors, OP sensor, seat module and track repair kit. I am finishing up upholstering the seats in the next few days so I really dont want to get rid of the 97 but I want 500hp at the rw. If I can achieve that under 10k I will be completely happy. Any ideas?
Old 11-23-2014, 01:27 AM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

A 416 stroker with a fast 102 and 17/8 or 2.0" headers should get you to 500 rwhp and still be very street able. About 10-12 psi of boost should do it also. Your engine needs to be in very good condition to boost it. If you do, get a good fuel pump and hot wire kit.
The 2.73's need to go. An upgraded 3.42 diff would work well. A stock a4 won't hold up long with 500rwhp. Torque tube couplers should be changed as well.
It won't be much fun if you get your 500 and then start breaking things and have no $$ left to fix it. Look how stout the c6 z06 driveline is with 505 at the motor.
I would do a lot of research before you start spending money. Hopefully you can talk to a few owners who have been there, done that.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:01 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Outside the above points even though Im a huge fan of strong NA motors seems the easiest route to bolt on driveable power is forced induction. Pay a little more upfront but youll love the result.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:04 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

IN my reading , it seems that crate motors have made do it yourself a somewhat old fashioned choice. I would go for ease of ownership and something that doesn't take a magician to keep on the road, the crate.

Get notified of new replies

To 97 cant decide SC or engine rebuild

Quick Reply: 97 cant decide SC or engine rebuild