C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive Train "Clunking" Remedy and Clutch Release Point

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 01:32 PM
CHC5
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive Train "Clunking" Remedy and Clutch Release Point

Just a thanks to Forum members for previous posts regarding loose rear axle nuts possibly causing drive train noises. I recently required a 2006 C6 convertible making awful clunking noises and found one axle nut loose. Using information from previous forum posts, I removed both axle nuts, pushed in the axles about 1/8" and sprayed the axle contact surface from the back side of the wheel assembly with chain lube and then installed new axle nuts and torqued to 140 lb-ft. Problem gone! No doubt this saved me a ton of $$$ versus having the dealer look at it.

Now if I could only figure out how to lower the clutch pedal engagement point without having to go to a Tick master cylinder. My clutch engages at the top of the pedal release and I don't like it! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2015, 10:45 AM
FSJim
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I fixed this same issue the same way just this morning on my 2004 vert. Thanks to all the valuable information that you guys on this forum dispense my problem is fixed. Who would think that one loose nut would translate into the symptoms that this issue displayed. It feels like it could have been transmission related, or clutch related, or bushing related, etc.. Most would think to tear it all down to ID the problem while all the while it was a loose axle nut.. Amazing. As we all know with Corvettes when it's a simple fix like this it feels so good.. Thanks Guys.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:51 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by CHC5
Now if I could only figure out how to lower the clutch pedal engagement point without having to go to a Tick master cylinder. My clutch engages at the top of the pedal release and I don't like it! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
After a little research, it appears that there is no way to adjust the clutch pedal in your Corvette. Some say to replace everything with the 2005 assembly, some say remove the assist spring from the pedal arm at the pivot point, some say get an adjustable master cylinder, and most say to learn to live with it.

there has to be something you can do. I just can't figure out what it is.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:02 PM
FSJim
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to report back that the clunk returned the next day.. Ended up doing the full clean and lube on the spline and replaced the axle nuts.. Perfect now.

Get notified of new replies

To Drive Train "Clunking" Remedy and Clutch Release Point

Quick Reply: Drive Train "Clunking" Remedy and Clutch Release Point