C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Active Steering Service on DIC

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:43 PM
Reblyjr
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Active Steering Service on DIC

Hi Everyone,
I have an issue with my 04. I have 93K miles on her and keep getting an alert for the active steering service on the DIC. I live in the Ontario, CA area and am looking for a qualified shop to resolve the issue. I am not afraid to drive 50-60 miles for a great shop. All recommendations welcome. Greatly prefer first hand experience with the shop.

She also tends to run hot in traffic. Hitting the 230's in stop and go traffic even after radiator flush.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 11-24-2014, 11:20 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

For the overheating a common issue could be the radiator is clogged with leaves, debri, etc. Check that out. When it overheats are the fans running? If they are can you tell what speed? Fast or slow?
Old 11-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Reblyjr
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dadaroo

For the overheating a common issue could be the radiator is clogged with leaves, debri, etc. Check that out. When it overheats are the fans running? If they are can you tell what speed? Fast or slow?
Hi,
Thanks for the quick response. I got underneath and checked out the condenser but didn't feel anything large. The fans are running but I could not tell you what speed. If the Vette is left sitting the engine temp will not exceed 235 degrees. I know this as I was trying to get dealership to pull the codes for the Active Handling for about 20 minutes. No luck on the codes! While driving I'm usually at 190-200 degrees depending upon traffic.

Will debris get caught between the condenser and the radiator? I have not taken off the top shroud to look so that maybe the issue. She is 10 years old and I'd like to keep her for another 10 years. Okay, that last part was a stretch. I'd like a new one but...

Thanks,
Rob
Old 11-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

You don't need to go to the dealer to get them to pull the codes Look at the file I attached
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C5 DTC Codes.pdf (1,000.3 KB, 98 views)
Old 11-25-2014, 07:24 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Here is the design:

Factory temp settings are low speed on at 226 degrees and off at 219 degrees. High speed on at 235 degrees and revert to low speed at 226 degrees. As stated both fans run at low speed and high speed and fans are commanded off by the PCM when the vehicle speed exceeds 35mph.

You can force low speed operation at 185 degrees by turning on the AC. High speed operation with AC on is still 235 degrees.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Reblyjr
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Smoken1
You don't need to go to the dealer to get them to pull the codes Look at the file I attached
Hi Smoking1,

Thank you for the codes! I get the error every time I drive now so I'll take her out and see what I can get.

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 11-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Reblyjr
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Here is the design:

Factory temp settings are low speed on at 226 degrees and off at 219 degrees. High speed on at 235 degrees and revert to low speed at 226 degrees. As stated both fans run at low speed and high speed and fans are commanded off by the PCM when the vehicle speed exceeds 35mph.

You can force low speed operation at 185 degrees by turning on the AC. High speed operation with AC on is still 235 degrees.
Hi dadaroo,

Got it. So I know my fans are working on high speed and I have heard them kick on when first started and the AC is on. Guess I need to remove that cover and see what surprises await!

Hopefully a little TLC will get back to the right place.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 11-26-2014, 08:30 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I am not sure you have an issue. I never leave mine idling for more than a few minutes so I can't compare.

Get notified of new replies

To 2004 Active Steering Service on DIC

Quick Reply: 2004 Active Steering Service on DIC