C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dim/Dark AC Display- No Solder Skills?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:13 AM
BadMedcn
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Dim/Dark AC Display- No Solder Skills?

The forum has many excellent fixes for our dim displays, but they require proficiency with a soldering iron. I am not. Recently while performing the fix, I was at the local Radio Shack picking up yet more soldering supplies when I came across a product called "Electric Paint", an easy to apply conductive product. Since the issue seems to be cracked solder joints, most that cannot be seen, I theorized that a liquid would flow into those cracks just as if melted solder.
Long story short.......I painted each of those "241" transistors along their soldered areas, careful to keep each free of interconnecting paint. It was dry within 15 minutes and put back together. The display returned to its bright display. Now will see if this is a reasonable long term solution. Nevertheless, another option for those not handy with the soldering iron.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:10 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by BadMedcn
The forum has many excellent fixes for our dim displays, but they require proficiency with a soldering iron. I am not. Recently while performing the fix, I was at the local Radio Shack picking up yet more soldering supplies when I came across a product called "Electric Paint", an easy to apply conductive product. Since the issue seems to be cracked solder joints, most that cannot be seen, I theorized that a liquid would flow into those cracks just as if melted solder.
Long story short.......I painted each of those "241" transistors along their soldered areas, careful to keep each free of interconnecting paint. It was dry within 15 minutes and put back together. The display returned to its bright display. Now will see if this is a reasonable long term solution. Nevertheless, another option for those not handy with the soldering iron.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:20 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Never heard of it until now. Did some research on it. Neat idea. I guess yours is also water soluble but where you used it that should not be an issue.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:36 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Good to know, hope it works long term
Old 11-24-2014, 03:55 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Commonly used in the electronics world. Would also be used for rear window defrost trace repair.

There is also silver epoxy that is used to mount surface mount components.

Should work well! Of course you will be the first to know if it fails down the road....

:-)
Old 11-24-2014, 04:25 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

It should work unless there is some vibration or jiggling which could crack the material and break the connection, but hopefully that will not happen, Stay away from potholes.
Nice to know there are other ways to repair these things instead of the fine soldering skills and tools needed for that.

Last edited by mrlmd; 11-24-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dim/Dark AC Display- No Solder Skills?

Quick Reply: Dim/Dark AC Display- No Solder Skills?