C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake and exhaust preferences

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 07:17 PM
SaliC5
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake and exhaust preferences

As a new Forum member and new owner (2004 convertible; 25,000 miles), I am considering alternative intake and exhaust. Would appreciate members sharing their experiences with several of the alternatives available - performance improvement (horsepower), installation challenge, and sound improvement. Thanks,

SaliC5
Old 11-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

There are so many threads on this you will have info overload...Do a search and welcome
Old 11-25-2014, 09:17 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by SaliC5
As a new Forum member and new owner (2004 convertible; 25,000 miles), I am considering alternative intake and exhaust. Would appreciate members sharing their experiences with several of the alternatives available - performance improvement (horsepower), installation challenge, and sound improvement. Thanks,

SaliC5
Vararam, long tube headers, ti mufflers and a tune.
Sidebar. I see you got spiral gray. C5's look awesome in that color! Good luck with it.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:09 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your choice of intake really. Vararam is rated as the higher power gainer, but worst to instal. K&N here, it's been great.

Try to locate a z06 titanium axle back as it's a very good exhaust for much cheaper than aftermarket.

As far as headers, go cated or uncated depending on your emissions and if you care about that. Don't waste time or money on shorties. I did a before and after Dyno and proved that they don't add a single horse power. Long tubes are the only thing worth it. ARH and LG seem to be popular. I was one of the lucky few to get a Pfadt try-y, but that's unavailable now.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:54 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Another vote for the VARARAM.. Best bang for the buck. Install really wasn't all that difficult.

Another vote for the C5 ZO6 Ti exhaust. Most power best sound on the CHEEP. With headers, it will sound a "LITTLE" better than the OEM LS1 exhaust.

If you want loud, shop around with your EARS Check out other C5 with similar mods as you plan to carry out.

Headers. Stainless Long tubes. Kooks or ARH seem to be the best band for that buck. I like ARH but they are expensive. Keep an eye out for some used headers.

Don't forget a Professional TUNE after your all done modding. You can get a great mail order tune for around $100-$150. It isn't mandatory but you will get the most out the combo of the mods that you install.

I recommend Chuck at Corvettes of Westchester. Give him a call when your ready to tune.

Bill
Old 11-26-2014, 05:37 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My $.02

I like for Intakes:
* Haltech
* Black wing

Exhaust on a Vert you will want it to be quieter then louder (in my opinion) because you dont have the roof to closer out the sound when driving, it will get louder quicker:
* Stock Z06 Ti mufflers
* Corsa Touring

I have C6 LS7/LS9 exhaust manifolds, Catpipes and 3" Hpipe back to stock Z06 Ti mufflers and it sounds Awesome, not too loud. with Tune i gained 25-30 RWHP and about 10-15 RWTQ.

S

Get notified of new replies

To intake and exhaust preferences

Quick Reply: intake and exhaust preferences