C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kwik-Lift-Clutch~TqTube~Trans/Diff/R Cradle work???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 06:11 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Kwik-Lift-Clutch~TqTube~Trans/Diff/R Cradle work???

Has anyone with a Kwik-Lift been able to R&R the rear suspension, differential, Transmission, torque tube....??????
Need to drop it all to do a new clutch, tq tube swap, and new 3.90 differential.
I'm thinking this. Back the car on the lift. Chock the frontside & backside of the front wheels. Use the center-lift bridge to jack up the backend just enough to pull the wheels, then lower the back down resting the rear frame jacking spots on blocks resting on the ramps.
I imagine I wouldn't want to have the rear lower than the front so maybe some short/stout stands on the rubber jacking pucks would be the ticket.
Then maybe use a trans jack to lower the goods. Might have to modify the back, adding stilts of sorts to raise the jack to fit the lift.
Thoughts or experience welcomed.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:28 AM
beboggled
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I think it would work well. You may want to park it near the back end of the lift so that you have some more room to maneuver the cradle. But it would still be stable by having the rear jacking points on blocks. I did mine on 4 jackstands sitting on top of 4 cinderblocks and it was a good height.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please post how you do it and how well it works for you. I also have a kwik lift and was wondering how it will work for doing clutch job. Thanks and good luck.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:43 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

I will. I'm expecting the best way would be to back in on the ramp. That way the jacking bridge is not in the way. The ramps slope down a little towards the front so this will position the back of the car a little higher than the front. That will allow me to pull the wheels and drop the back down on blocks, in the rear frame jacking spots, and possibly still have the car level.
I'm going to pick up a transmission jack and modify it to sit higher. Just weld up some stilts of sorts for the casters. High heel shoes for the jack. ; )
Should be easy enough. Fingers crossed. Heading out soon to pick up the Kwik Lift. Sure enough it's raining pretty good today!!!
Old 11-30-2014, 02:15 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Please keep us posted with how it works.

I have a kwik lift also, but I was concerned that the lift ramps would be too narrow to drop all of the rear cradle down between them.

I'd love to hear how well it works, and pictures if you can remember to take them while working on it. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:54 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by QCVette
Please keep us posted with how it works.

I have a kwik lift also, but I was concerned that the lift ramps would be too narrow to drop all of the rear cradle down between them.

I'd love to hear how well it works, and pictures if you can remember to take them while working on it. Thanks.
I plan to. I'm expecting the suspension/cradle will need to be pivoted to drop between the rails. Don't think it will drop straight down.
It would be until Jan when I do the work. UPS has me too busy right now!!!
Old 11-30-2014, 02:58 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default clutch replace

I did a writeup on this post with the R&R sequence. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html

I did it on a 4-post lift and used 2 2x4's crossways and a scissor jack to support the engine at the pan. YOu have to be real careful not to let the engine tilt down too low or you will damage stuff when it hits the firewall. Then a good trans jack in your case with a quiklift and you would be good to go.

Be sure to put in a remote bleeder kit
Old 11-30-2014, 10:20 PM
Wisdom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beboggled
...I did mine on 4 jackstands sitting on top of 4 cinderblocks and it was a good height.
That must have been a fun stacking operation!

Get notified of new replies

To Kwik-Lift-Clutch~TqTube~Trans/Diff/R Cradle work???

Quick Reply: Kwik-Lift-Clutch~TqTube~Trans/Diff/R Cradle work???