C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Light Install Problem-Need Some Input

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default LED Light Install Problem-Need Some Input

After reading lots of threads and lots of PMing with fellow Forum Members who have done LED light installs on their cars I finally bought the LED lights to go in the front and rear blinker lights and the reverse lights on my 2004. I also bought a Tridon EL12 electronic flasher unit that many on the Forum have used to prevent hyperflash. This flasher is one of the 2 wire units. I didn't want to mess with load resistors and the associated heat issues.
I started out by installing the electronic flasher first just to make sure that everything would still work with the original halogen lights before installing any of the LEDs. With the flasher installed everything worked great....all blinkers and the emergency flashers.
Next I started installing the taillights, one at a time and checked the flashers and the blinkers each time I swapped out a bulb for an LED.
Got all 4 rear lights in and everything was still working perfectly.
I installed the driver's side front blinker LED next and found that the flashers still worked at all corners with no problem, but, the driver's side blinker no longer worked. Put the halogen bulb back in and all was well with the blinker again. Tried swapping out the passenger side front blinker next and got the same results, the flashers worked at all 4 corners, but, the passenger side blinker did not work.
Figured I'll try installing both front LEDs to see if that helped any and got a new problem that I was not expecting at all....the blinkers did not work on either side, which I sort of expected, but, the emergency flashers now had hyperflash, which I did not think was possible!!
I ended up putting the halogen bulbs back in the fronts to get me through the Thanksgiving Holiday and have been driving the car with the LEDs in the rear and halogens in the front for about 2 weeks with no problems.
I really want to get the LEDs in all around, but, not sure what the problem is or what to try next.
The amber LEDs that I put in the fronts are the Samsung units that Radioflyer sells on his website so I don't thing that the LEDs are the problem.
If anybody has any input or had a similar problem and sorted it out please let me know. I've searched and can't find any info on a problem similar to mine.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

when you installed the leds did you try flipping them around? if they dont work flip them 180* and try them
Old 11-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Thanks Stroker87.
I sure did. Had to do that on a couple of the backs and it made a difference. No luck with the fronts though.
With the front LEDs in none of the blinker bulbs front or rear light up or blink and the dash blinker lights just light up dim and steady.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zmeister
Thanks Stroker87.
I sure did. Had to do that on a couple of the backs and it made a difference. No luck with the fronts though.
With the front LEDs in none of the blinker bulbs front or rear light up or blink and the dash blinker lights just light up dim and steady.
kinda sound like you either have a bad bulb or the wrong bulbs, i installed switch backs in the front and only installed a $12 heavy duty flasher (had to cut only wire to install) and no issues since about a month now every thing correctly

sounds like the bulbs you have are shorting out the system if you still have the packaging look for the number or look on the bulb

sorry not much help
Old 11-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Stroker87, no problem, appreciate the input.
I actually tried the amber LEDs in the rear lights and they worked great.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:09 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The info seemed to be lacking so I posted a DIY flasher bypass a long time ago and used the Tridon EL12 in the picture because it was the only electronic flasher the parts store had on the shelf. I have never qualified that flasher for use with all LED signal lights since I had no plan to install rear LEDs, only front switchbacks. That flasher is a heavy duty unit so I would not be surprised if it needs a minimum load that isn't met with all LED bulbs.

Try putting a normal bulb in a rear socket and then swap the front bulb (on the same side) and see what happens. You'll know another flasher is required if the problem is not dependent on the normal bulb location. I would think a flasher like this one is good but I have not personally tested it.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...FeLm7AodEEIA3Q

As for the hazard hyperflash - even with the bypass, the hazard still uses the stock flasher unit and it will hyperflash with LEDs.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Thanks lionelhutz. I actually thought about trying one of the stock bulbs in the rear and never got to it. I can see the logic and it would potentially eliminate one possible cause for the problem.
I chose the EL12 because it does give you the blinker sound, which I like, but, if it won't work and I need to switch to a silent flasher I'm OK with that!
For some reason I thought that the emergency flashers worked off of their own flasher unit, but, I must have gotten that wrong.
I'm going to try swapping one of the back lights tomorrow and see if that works.
Thanks again!
Old 11-28-2014, 09:57 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmeister
Thanks lionelhutz. I actually thought about trying one of the stock bulbs in the rear and never got to it. I can see the logic and it would potentially eliminate one possible cause for the problem.
I chose the EL12 because it does give you the blinker sound, which I like, but, if it won't work and I need to switch to a silent flasher I'm OK with that!
For some reason I thought that the emergency flashers worked off of their own flasher unit, but, I must have gotten that wrong.
I'm going to try swapping one of the back lights tomorrow and see if that works.
Thanks again!
If that doesn't work, we can provide a hyperflash harness that will.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:40 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Thanks radioflyer. Your harness is on my list as my fall back position if I can't sort it out. Hoping to save a few bucks going the DIY route.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:26 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

I just bought a "heavy duty" flasher from a local parts store, to install it only need to cut one wire whole process took less then 15 minutes to installed it still have the blinker sound

the only thing is it will not hyper flash when a bulbs out
Old 11-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stroker87
I just bought a "heavy duty" flasher from a local parts store, to install it only need to cut one wire whole process took less then 15 minutes to installed it still have the blinker sound

the only thing is it will not hyper flash when a bulbs out
Hmmm, I cut 2 wires to install my electronic flasher, the pink and the purple wire. I didn't get a chance to mess with it today. Other projects got in the way. Hopefully I'll get a shot at it again tomorrow.
Thanks for the follow up.
Which flasher did you buy??
Old 12-10-2014, 07:33 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Finally got a little time to mess with the lights again this week.
I re installed one of the original halogen bulbs on each side in the rear and then installed the amber LEDs in the front again. Now everything works again. Blinkers and flashers on both sides work great. Looks a little weird from the rear with one dull, lazy bulb on each side, but, it all works.
I'm thinking and hoping that it's my electronic flasher that's causing the problem. If anyone has any other thoughts please let me know,.
I'll try to get to one of the auto parts places this weekend and try one of another brand to see if it makes a difference.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

sounds like the flasher to me since with the regular bulbs it all is working

I used EL12 Novita from autozone $12 it stopped the hyper flash for me,

this link might help you

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1569248926
Old 12-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stroker87
sounds like the flasher to me since with the regular bulbs it all is working

I used EL12 Novita from autozone $12 it stopped the hyper flash for me,

this link might help you

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1569248926
Thanks Stroker!!
I checked that link you included and I see that lionelhutz did his wiring a bit different that I did mine. That MAY be my problem. I used a diagram provided by Pewter99 where both pink and purple wires were cut and blanked off on the hazard flasher end and the new electronic flasher was attached to the 'hot' ends of the pink and purple wires. I'll give this alternate method a try this weekend and see if it makes a difference.
Thanks also to lionelhutz!!!!
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:50 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

no problem let us know how it turns out
Old 12-13-2014, 07:02 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The pink wire can be cut. It makes no difference if it's connected or not. I edited that old post.

Your test with moving the one standard bulb around pretty much confirms the flasher is the problem.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The pink wire can be cut. It makes no difference if it's connected or not. I edited that old post.

Your test with moving the one standard bulb around pretty much confirms the flasher is the problem.
Thanks for that update. Didn't get a chance to try changing the wiring this weekend. Sounds like I can just skip that and buy another electronic flasher. I'm really stumped why the one I have is not working with all of the LEDs in. I hope it's as simple as I have a defective flasher!

Get notified of new replies

To LED Light Install Problem-Need Some Input

Old 12-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

OK, finally got a chance to pick up another flasher last week and installed it over the weekend. I still have pretty much the same problem. My original electronic flasher was the EL12 and the new one is an FL12. The new one is basically the same flasher, but, is louder.
I'm beginning to wonder if it's the particular model I'm using. These are both round, barrel shaped flashers and most of the ones I see folks using are the block shape. Not sure if there is any internal difference. Seems to me that a flasher is a flasher.
ANY help is appreciated. I'd really like to get this sorted out.
I thought that this was going to be a quick, easy, fun mod......
Old 12-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

I dont think you have it connected right, I only cut one wire to connect mine then IIRC i grounded the other side of the flasher, is it possible you connected the flasher on the wrong side of the plug? is the flasher connected to the side going up to the hazarded switch or going down into the dash?

kinda sounds like you still have the old flasher connected

Last edited by Stroker87; 12-30-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Stroker87 thanks for hanging in there with me!!
Here is a link from the Forum that shows what I did. Hope the link works. This was posted by Tstar and he is the one that makes the hyperflash bypass harness for JW Motoring.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1575252110
My install looks exactly like the pics except for I used the EL12 and LF12 flashers.

Quick Reply: LED Light Install Problem-Need Some Input