C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

condensation inside on windows after lots of rain

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 08:38 PM
slimflem
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default condensation inside on windows after lots of rain

After a couple days straight of rain, my '03Z condensates badly on the inside of the windshield, rear window, and sides. Sometimes it condensates so badly, I have to wipe it with a towel and let the a/c dry it off for several minutes.

I wondering if the seals around the doors/windows are in need of replacing or any drains are plugged.

(I just bought the car about 5 months ago -ish; so it's time to begin sorting those issues out that start to show up months after the purchase. Overall the car is in excellent condition. Nothing major other than a very loose starter solenoid wire preventing me from cranking. I enjoy the process of taking care of these types of things.)

Any ideas appreciated.

Update:

By a stroke of luck, I found the leak this evening. I washed the car real good, and later when I drove to the store and returned to the car, the driver's side floorboard had water leaking down from behind the plastic paneling just at the bottom and to the left of your leg; right in that area. It was clearly draining from under there and rolling down the edge of the plastic flooring insert and pooling over near the center tranny tube.

Now I have somewhere to specifically start.

Update 2:

This morning I found the leak coming in when opening the driver's door. I'm pretty sure it's the window weatherstripping. Check out the pics. I'm going to at least replace this piece first and take it from there.

Last edited by slimflem; 11-30-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:41 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Remove all the mats from the car and look for the area with wet carpet. The design of the cockpit will tend to direct any water leaking into the car to one of three areas. Drivers side, passengers side or rear compartment. Start looking in that area for where the water is entering the car.

If the passenger side area is wet, don't discount the A/C phlenum as the source of water.

Let us know what you find.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 11-28-2014, 10:45 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Clean out the udders. Do a search to find out how. Either that or Bill sees this and provides you with some of his endless photos.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:58 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

I had a leaking seal that was at the top driver side windshield. Allowed water to get in when exposed to the elements. If it was raining really bad, I had somewhat the same issue.

As previously mentioned, pull the floor mats and feel the carpets. Are they went one the driver side? Passenger side?

If yes, feel the upper inside corners or the headliners where the visor is hinged. Any dampness?

If I were you, I'd go to Walmart and buy a box of those silica-gel bags to help remove the condensation.

That, or once you get it dry enough, invest in a really good all weather car cover.

Sucks but.....if it's a windshield or rear window seal - they don't make them anymore.

You may try a custom window shop.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:36 PM
slimflem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Remove all the mats from the car and look for the area with wet carpet. The design of the cockpit will tend to direct any water leaking into the car to one of three areas. Drivers side, passengers side or rear compartment. Start looking in that area for where the water is entering the car.

If the passenger side area is wet, don't discount the A/C phlenum as the source of water.

Let us know what you find.

Good luck... GUSTO
The only moist/damp areas that I could detect this morning were on the driver's side against the center tube/tunnel. I will read the excellent links; great source of info there. Next hard rain cycle I'll troubleshoot better with the new info.

No wetness of any sort around the edges or perimeter of the windshield or rear window. Nothing around the sun visors nor the passengers side. It is for sure heavier on the driver's side of the car. Maybe a 1/3 worse compared to the passenger's side.

Unfortunately, I no longer have a garage.

Last edited by slimflem; 11-29-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:04 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by slimflem
The only moist/damp areas that I could detect this morning were on the driver's side against the center tube/tunnel. I will read the excellent links; great source of info there. Next hard rain cycle I'll troubleshoot better with the new info.

No wetness of any sort around the edges or perimeter of the windshield or rear window. Nothing around the sun visors nor the passengers side. It is for sure heavier on the driver's side of the car. Maybe a 1/3 worse compared to the passenger's side.

Unfortunately, I no longer have a garage.
Based on this information, I would start by checking the udders in the engine compartment in front of the drivers side of the cowl.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 11-30-2014, 10:09 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

If weather and time allows, once you remove the carpeting have someone dump a bucket of water slowly around the suspected areas while you're inside with a flashlight. I had my wife do the honers while I searched for a leak and found it this way !

Good Luck !
Old 12-01-2014, 12:48 PM
JD's_Z06
Intermediate

Default SAME exact problem

Bill Curlee is your man on water leaks (and everthing else!) fixed mine, thanks to his tutorials!

Last edited by JD's_Z06; 12-01-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: spastic finger (or mouse) hit 'post'
Old 12-02-2014, 02:49 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The window is mis-adjusted which damaged the weatherstripping. The window should hit the weatherstrip under that lip just before the door closes all the way and then the edge of the glass slides up under the lip as the door finishes closing. You really shouldn't be able to see the edge of the glass with the door closed.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:55 PM
92mr2turbo
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The window is mis-adjusted which damaged the weatherstripping. The window should hit the weatherstrip under that lip just before the door closes all the way and then the edge of the glass slides up under the lip as the door finishes closing. You really shouldn't be able to see the edge of the glass with the door closed.
Thanks for the tip about the windows being adjusted. I had water leak issues about 2 years ago and ended up getting a new windshield, reveal moulding, door, and window seals. Wasn't Cheap. Good luck

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...runk-help.html
Old 12-07-2014, 12:33 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You let your Corvette get wet !!!!!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:02 AM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I had to replace the windshield weather stripping- (that thing is NOT cheap!), mine dry rotted at the front edges near the side view mirrors. For the longest while I had water pooling behind the seats. I always thought it was the B pillar weather stripping but it was not- water has a tendency to move around. If you're somewhat handy, you can replace the windshield weather stripping yourself and adjust the window.

Also, pull the seats and carpets - you may have mold and/or rust on the seat rails and bolts now.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:31 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ericdwong
I had to replace the windshield weather stripping- (that thing is NOT cheap!), mine dry rotted at the front edges near the side view mirrors. For the longest while I had water pooling behind the seats. I always thought it was the B pillar weather stripping but it was not- water has a tendency to move around. If you're somewhat handy, you can replace the windshield weather stripping yourself and adjust the window.

Also, pull the seats and carpets - you may have mold and/or rust on the seat rails and bolts now.
Originally Posted by JD's_Z06
Bill Curlee is your man on water leaks (and everthing else!) fixed mine, thanks to his tutorials!

Get notified of new replies

To condensation inside on windows after lots of rain

Quick Reply: condensation inside on windows after lots of rain