C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 07:43 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lightweight battery

So I've read several threads about installing the little motorcycle batteries and people seem to have great results. My car is almost exclusively a dragster, so no, it wont be a daily concern. I plan to run a trickle charger because I read one guy got 5 years out of his Braille that way.

Here's a few links for those interested:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f5/br...all-pic-88158/
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...y-install.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tall-pics.html

Surprisingly people have been using these for both racing and daily driving with no problems. The car consistently starts for years. Interesting..

Here's the one I am most interested in and have a question about. Its only 1.3 lbs , how can I tell if this will work or not? Im already surprised that the 220ish cca one's do the job. This one says only 124ca on the side.. but it's advertised as a racing battery just like the others.. and the price is good too for that kind of weight savings.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brl-g4l/overview/

Right now I have a 44lb Optima yellow top in. Way too much. Can you imagine a 42.7lb drop! These guys are excited about loosing 20!

Others I'm interested in seem to be the more common AGM type. As you can see in the threads, people are having good results with anything from 170cca up to 350+. (Still dont understand how this is sufficient, but apparently it works).

Looking for anyone's experience or suggestions. The little lithium ion one Im interested in would be great, but is it too new that no one has tried it out?
Old 12-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I have been using the 17 lb braille battery without too much problems. I don't see that a 1 1/2 pound battery is going to start the car, besides, none of the threads are talking about such a small battery, are you sure that is the one they are talking about.

my experience is with two cars, currently running the 17 lb braille in both. I do have a slight battery drain on one car, I think it's the ipod but I try to put the battery on the ctec if i'm not going to be driving it for a few days, it will drain in a few days otherwise. If they drain, they can be brought back "slowly" , I've also had a few gone bad where the side bulged out (3).

The other car, (383 Ci) has one in there and it starts right up every time (no batt drain)

I've been running them for about 5 years now but have gone through some batteries ...

IF I can get three years out of one - I'd be happy
Old 12-06-2014, 08:45 AM
martysauto
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

If you didn't already, measure you cranking amps cold and hot. Pay close attention to the initial hit. Most are about 150 cranking but the draw is almost double. Here is my suggestion. It's still 30lbs lighter.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brl-b14115/overview/
Old 12-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

for a 2 lb difference I'd still take the one I have ... It's "pushing" the 15 lb here in the northeast IMHO
Old 12-06-2014, 10:22 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by martysauto
If you didn't already, measure you cranking amps cold and hot. Pay close attention to the initial hit. Most are about 150 cranking but the draw is almost double. Here is my suggestion. It's still 30lbs lighter. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brl-b14115/overview/
Yes this one was at the top of my list as well. Only 11.5 lbs and right around the output that the guys in the threads I read about are running.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:24 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels
I have been using the 17 lb braille battery without too much problems. I don't see that a 1 1/2 pound battery is going to start the car, besides, none of the threads are talking about such a small battery, are you sure that is the one they are talking about. my experience is with two cars, currently running the 17 lb braille in both. I do have a slight battery drain on one car, I think it's the ipod but I try to put the battery on the ctec if i'm not going to be driving it for a few days, it will drain in a few days otherwise. If they drain, they can be brought back "slowly" , I've also had a few gone bad where the side bulged out (3). The other car, (383 Ci) has one in there and it starts right up every time (no batt drain) I've been running them for about 5 years now but have gone through some batteries ... IF I can get three years out of one - I'd be happy
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. Im trying to get away with lighter. I do live in southern Cali. The weather here promotes an easy start all year round.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:37 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

So I just installed it. Everything works fine. Ok going to leave it connected and trust that it starts for work tomorrow..

Name:  image-2348649590.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  402.0 KB

Name:  image-2616149708.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  403.4 KB
Old 12-09-2014, 08:41 PM
martysauto
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Keep us posted.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:30 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Thought it was pretty cool that the bat came with this spec card. 636 Amps! That's great for this little thing!

Name:  image-998007057.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  423.9 KB
Old 12-09-2014, 09:44 PM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Subscribed
Old 12-09-2014, 09:55 PM
martysauto
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by NukeC5
Thought it was pretty cool that the bat came with this spec card. 636 Amps! That's great for this little thing!

Attachment 47846929
I think you just sold some batteries.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:48 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Harbor freight has a float charger for $6 bucks. Read a lot of good reviews. I think I'll try it out. Should give peace of mind that the car will at least start when I need it too for the life of the battery. Not sure if that will have an effect on the life of it. But I don't expect it to last longer than 2 years anyway. It will be interesting to find out.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:35 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Harbor freight has a float charger for $6 bucks. Read a lot of good reviews. I think I'll try it out. Should give peace of mind that the car will at least start when I need it too for the life of the battery. Not sure if that will have an effect on the life of it. But I don't expect it to last longer than 2 years anyway. It will be interesting to find out.
A few years ago I bought three of them for $4.99 because I thought they might not last. Still use the original(been 8 years now), gave one to my neighbor and the third one is still unused. Car is not driven much so it is hooked up all the time it is in the garage. I highly recommend these chargers.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm on year two with my 15 pound Braille. Daily driver. Never had an issue. It never does get really cold here but it does get a little warm. Never a problem.

edit - should say into year two, haven't completed year two....
Old 12-11-2014, 01:52 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Unfortunately the float chargers at harbor freight say "for led acid batteries only". I just came from there. Opted not to put one on mine since it's an AGM gel type bat. Gonna do some research and find one that will work for a good price.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:48 PM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Just installed mine today:
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2014, 08:46 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ssrallyred
Just installed mine today:
Nice work. When the battery is this small I'm sure upright or lying down doesn't really make a difference. I just read that laying it down makes for a lower center of gravity. So I wanted to instal it that way. I haven't had a chance to use the car much, looking to seeing if there's any difference in the way it feels driving, fuel economy, ET on the drag strip, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Lightweight battery

Old 12-15-2014, 08:53 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Unfortunately the float chargers at harbor freight say "for led acid batteries only". I just came from there. Opted not to put one on mine since it's an AGM gel type bat. Gonna do some research and find one that will work for a good price.
The C-TEC chargers are popular on the forum. I have one, and it works very well. They cost around $65.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:06 PM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Nice work. When the battery is this small I'm sure upright or lying down doesn't really make a difference. I just read that laying it down makes for a lower center of gravity. So I wanted to instal it that way. I haven't had a chance to use the car much, looking to seeing if there's any difference in the way it feels driving, fuel economy, ET on the drag strip, etc.

Thanks bro. I had a 25% coupon from Summit on purchase off 200.00 so I went with the mounting kit with the battery as the battery alone was not enough and it expired the end of this month. So thanks to your thread for the perfect reason to use it

I installed it this afternoon and drove it 3 miles home. I will mention this. My spec sheet showed it tested and boxed on 8-06-2014 and it fired right off after sitting 4 months. I have started looking for places close to Destin just to find a place to weigh it. My curiosity is killing me lol
Old 12-16-2014, 10:45 PM
turbojim
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed

Quick Reply: Lightweight battery