C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New alternator Charge system fault message 99 A4

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:49 AM
CSRelentless
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New alternator Charge system fault message 99 A4

Got a 99 a4 and had to replace alternator due to bad bearing, shop said it was an oddball bearing and couldn't be rebuilt, got a lifetime warranty unit that it apost to be the replacement for it but now I got charge system fault everytime I start my car, my questions are:

Is there any aftermarket units that will work on a 99 a4 or does it have to be the original valeo 110 amp made in France?
Old 12-09-2014, 11:38 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Step one should be to get your old unit back unless you were wise enough to keep it. NEVER heard of the Valeo bearing being oddball. I assume they just didn't have it. Looks like they are on the hook to get you an alternator that works since you have a lifetime warranty.

I don't know if anyone else makes an alternator that properly interfaces with the C5 PCM.

Here is one site that promises their rebuilds are from Valeos and that they are C5 compatible. Not cheap but you can look around for others.

http://nationsautoelectric.com/highamp-corvette.html
Old 12-09-2014, 01:20 PM
CSRelentless
Navigator

Nope didn't keep it had no idea that it was special and I needed to, dumb move on my part and he said the new one that the core is renuilt from a valeo but in Mexico not like the original one which is made in France, so I'm Probally screwed? Or does anybody know a part number or anything for one that will work for the 99 corvette without the charge system fault?
Old 12-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Step one should be to get your old unit back unless you were wise enough to keep it. NEVER heard of the Valeo bearing being oddball. I assume they just didn't have it. Looks like they are on the hook to get you an alternator that works since you have a lifetime warranty.

I don't know if anyone else makes an alternator that properly interfaces with the C5 PCM.

Here is one site that promises their rebuilds are from Valeos and that they are C5 compatible. Not cheap but you can look around for others.

http://nationsautoelectric.com/highamp-corvette.html
IM only going to say this once..... I've posted hundreds of inputs on this issue over the last 13 years,
How can an alternator as advertised by the link above that offers an upgraded alternator of 150 amps, work on a closed loop pcm that only expects to see 110 amps at full duty cycle.. This is my first and last post in this thread.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:08 PM
CSRelentless
Navigator

Well aftermarket replacements even GM is like 140amps, so pretty much Im going to have to buy a used one from a 97-99 corvette?
Old 12-10-2014, 06:18 PM
js23881
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a 99 C5 and replaced my GM alternator with one from NAPA that was direct interchange. Never one issue on street. Make sure it has same output as original GM when you buy.

Get notified of new replies

To New alternator Charge system fault message 99 A4

Quick Reply: New alternator Charge system fault message 99 A4