C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:41 PM
66CorvetteCoupe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Clutch Question

O3 Z 435 WHP needs a new clutch set-up. I posted over in the general forum regarding a particular clutch manufacture didn't get much response there. The hydraulic slave cylinder on my 0-3 is going away it leaks down after sitting resulting in no pedal. The clutch is fine but I might as well replace it all while we have it down. After doing some reading and researching prices and reviews I have come up with three choices:
1. C-6 LS7 clutch set-up with OEM master and slave cylinder.
2. LUK Gold set-up I read reviews all looked good.
3. Monster stage 1 good to 450 WHP.
I have used the LS-7 set-up in my former 01 Z and it did great. LUK I am not sure of as I don't know much about them although I think they actually manufacture the OEM GM clutches. Finally I looked at the Monster set up with a lightened fly wheel 18lbs versus the factory type 28lbs. Too many to choose from LUK has a great price, the LS-7 I know performs. Monster seems like a good product as well; so give some insight guys surely there are many opinions out there I need to get this done the Vette sitting is killing me. Also I assume now is the time to add a remote bleeder as well. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Impulsive goat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't been able to drive my Z in two months so I feel your pain especially when its in your own garage all torn down. I'm having issues with my clutch hydraulics after replacing the slave and clutch master I still have disengagement problems. Currently I'm waiting for some slave shims to show up and if that doesn't work I will be replacing the clutch entirely. Right now the clutch in there is a monster stage 3 but I will be replacing it with a mantic er2. Both companies are great and have an outstanding presence in the forum so I don't think you can go wrong with either. Mileage on the current clutch is unknown and my dyno sheet has me at 465rwhp. My opinion on the remote bleeder is put one in just make absolutely certain that it does not leak before you button everything up, its a lot of work to tear everything apart chasing leaks in the system. If you already have it apart make sure there's no other projects you need done while your in there. I've already adjusted my parking brake, repaired my reverse lockout solenoid, and replaced the fluid in my trans and rear end. Sorry for the long response, if you need anymore help don't hesitate, the guys on this forum are top notch.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:58 PM
66CorvetteCoupe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Impulsive goat
I haven't been able to drive my Z in two months so I feel your pain especially when its in your own garage all torn down. I'm having issues with my clutch hydraulics after replacing the slave and clutch master I still have disengagement problems. Currently I'm waiting for some slave shims to show up and if that doesn't work I will be replacing the clutch entirely. Right now the clutch in there is a monster stage 3 but I will be replacing it with a mantic er2. Both companies are great and have an outstanding presence in the forum so I don't think you can go wrong with either. Mileage on the current clutch is unknown and my dyno sheet has me at 465rwhp. My opinion on the remote bleeder is put one in just make absolutely certain that it does not leak before you button everything up, its a lot of work to tear everything apart chasing leaks in the system. If you already have it apart make sure there's no other projects you need done while your in there. I've already adjusted my parking brake, repaired my reverse lockout solenoid, and replaced the fluid in my trans and rear end. Sorry for the long response, if you need anymore help don't hesitate, the guys on this forum are top notch.
Hey thanks for your input I have a professional wrench turner that is doing mine I am beyond my tranny pulling days when you bounced the M-22 off your belly and stuck in the bell housing. I will deliver him the new parts and pieces and pick it back up on day 2. Too close to the holidays and shopping to deal with the Vette. I will make up my mind in a few days and pick one I think I won't go wrong with the parts I pick. Everyone says stay GM on the slave cylinder and master so I believe in that route. Good luck with yours and report back.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Clutch Question

Quick Reply: Another Clutch Question