C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install... Check my parts list!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:50 PM
jodyjo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam install... Check my parts list!

Hey everyone!

First off, let me say that I'm trying to do this on a budget, but don't want to skimp on quality parts just to save a few dollars. I know that is a little counter intuitive, but that's my situation right now. I'm applying to pharmacy school and with the money that I just sent out for application fees alone I could have just about finished this project!!! Anyway, my care is a 2000 coupe with right at 100k. Current mods are a Vengance ported FAST 92, ported LS2 throttle body, 36lb injectors. I also have a set of FAST fuel rails (uninstalled) but that's how she sits right now, untuned and will stay that way until after all the new parts go in. The parts I have on hand are TSP 228r cam, Tooley valve springs, new pushrods, LS7 lifters. Parts I still need to order are Yank SS3600 stall, transgo shift kit, tranny fluid cooler, new balancer/pulley (there is a slight wobble in mine), and of course the install parts like gaskets/bolts. I would like a new set of heads but I don't think those are in the budget as of yet, same thing with headers... Why do Vette headers have to be so expensive compared to F Body parts?!?!?!

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on other parts I need, let me know. Thanks!

Jody
Old 12-18-2014, 09:57 PM
bad man Barry White
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

valve spring retainers, locks and lifter trays. would probably consider an oil pump, ls2 timing chain and tensioner as well.

I enjoy spending other peoples money though.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:58 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default parts list

Go to the Queen City Corvette Club Web site . I think my parts list is posted in the tech section

Originally Posted by jodyjo
Hey everyone!

First off, let me say that I'm trying to do this on a budget, but don't want to skimp on quality parts just to save a few dollars. I know that is a little counter intuitive, but that's my situation right now. I'm applying to pharmacy school and with the money that I just sent out for application fees alone I could have just about finished this project!!! Anyway, my care is a 2000 coupe with right at 100k. Current mods are a Vengance ported FAST 92, ported LS2 throttle body, 36lb injectors. I also have a set of FAST fuel rails (uninstalled) but that's how she sits right now, untuned and will stay that way until after all the new parts go in. The parts I have on hand are TSP 228r cam, Tooley valve springs, new pushrods, LS7 lifters. Parts I still need to order are Yank SS3600 stall, transgo shift kit, tranny fluid cooler, new balancer/pulley (there is a slight wobble in mine), and of course the install parts like gaskets/bolts. I would like a new set of heads but I don't think those are in the budget as of yet, same thing with headers... Why do Vette headers have to be so expensive compared to F Body parts?!?!?!

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on other parts I need, let me know. Thanks!

Jody
Old 12-18-2014, 10:00 PM
jodyjo
Instructor

Ah, I meant to post those things were on my todo list! Melling oil pump, ls2 chain for sure! I'll add the retainers and valve trays though. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:10 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Check cam retainer plate gasket. Some people reuse, it's only ~$35 for a new plate + 4 new bolts (new plate design requires tapered bolts). If you reuse and your seal is bad, you'll have no oil pressure and have to tear it down again.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:16 PM
jodyjo
Instructor

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably just grab a new one.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam install... Check my parts list!

Quick Reply: Cam install... Check my parts list!