C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did I just replace a ls7 clutch with stock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Talon2006
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default did I just replace a ls7 clutch with stock?

So my pilot bearing was bad, and i decided to replace the clutch too on my "stock" 97 vette. Well I thought the car was stock. It had the newer 200+ style torque tube in it, which ruined my day as I ordered couplers for a 97 TT. After measuring the couplers they appeared to be the same size so I just installed then with the old bolts as I do not have time to wait for the correct ones to come in. Anyone foresee any problems with this?

Also, I think it had a Ls7 clutch in it.

Hopefully the OEM clutch holds up. I'm debating dynoing the car to see if it has stock HP numbers.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:14 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like. Why would you put in a stock LS1 clutch anyways, LS7 kits are the same price.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Talon2006
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I was afraid of running into issues with the install...? I remember the ls7 clutch kits where pricey...

I purchased the stock LUK clutch from rockauto.com Looking now to buy the ls7 one and a flywheel would have been about 100 bucks more. I will start kicking myself now! I guess worse case my old clutch was in pretty good condition and I could throw it back in if this new one fails quickly!
(one year till college graduation! then upgrade time)
Old 12-21-2014, 10:43 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

If you installed an LS1 clutch in place of the ls7 clutch the car will rev and feel faster. The ls1 setup is lighter. I felt a difference 2 seconds after driving my car with the ls7 clutch kit. Its heavy...

Get notified of new replies

To did I just replace a ls7 clutch with stock?

Quick Reply: did I just replace a ls7 clutch with stock?