C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storage Issue with my 98 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:23 PM
C54FUN
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'08-'10

Default Storage Issue with my 98 Coupe

Well its like this...have my car in storage, on a trickle charger, as in years past, but lately I notice my horn blowing all by its lonesome. Have a new battery in car plus replaced batteries in fobs and relearned them both. Looking for some help with this issue. Appreciate the help and thanks.
Joe
Old 12-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Mastertvtech
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by C54FUN
Well its like this...have my car in storage, on a trickle charger, as in years past, but lately I notice my horn blowing all by its lonesome. Have a new battery in car plus replaced batteries in fobs and relearned them both. Looking for some help with this issue. Appreciate the help and thanks.
Joe
The switch membranes are known to go bad. Do a search for it. You can probably pull the horn fuse until you can replace it in the spring.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:31 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Have to say, if I was going to store mine for any length of time, I would disconnect the battery. Gets rid of a ton of issues like this.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Is it being sounded by the ALARM SYSTEM or like you would use the steering wheel horn to tell someone that they were stupid?

The membrane under the air bag cover can and do go bad and that can cause the horn to just blow all the time on its own. Like Mastertvtech stated, you most likely need a new horn switch membrane. Numerous vendors on here sell them Check out ZIP Products.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Storage Issue with my 98 Coupe

Quick Reply: Storage Issue with my 98 Coupe