C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plugs/wires/battery died - Would this cause ABS/TC lights to turn on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:52 PM
mikex7
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Spark plugs/wires/battery died - Would this cause ABS/TC lights to turn on?

So, I just did the following on my car:

1.) New plugs/wires
2.) Replaced the hazard switch
3.) Battery died when I left the hood open overnight

And after all of this, my ABS and traction control lights are lit. Would the battery dying possibly cause this? Or is this coincidental? It happened right after I got finished with all the work.

Last edited by mikex7; 12-20-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:21 PM
lloyd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikex7
So, I just did the following on my car:

1.) New plugs/wires
2.) Replaced the hazard switch
3.) Battery died when I left the hood open overnight

And after all of this, my ABS and traction control lights are lit. Would the battery dying possibly cause this? Or is this coincidental? It happened right after I got finished with all the work.
Probably just record codes, charge battery and clear codes.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:19 PM
mikex7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lloyd
Probably just record codes, charge battery and clear codes.
I cleared all of my codes and I still have the problem. I drive for about 60 seconds and both the ABS and Traction control error lights turn on. Any idea what I should be looking at? It doesnt look like I have any relevant error codes.

RFA C2115 - Tire sensor
BCM B2721 - PASS-Key Detection Circuit
PCM P1631 - Ignition switch
HVAC B0446
SCM No comm. - Seat control module

Last edited by mikex7; 12-21-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:24 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I cleared all of my codes and I still have the problem. I drive for about 60 seconds and both the ABS and Traction control error lights turn on. Any idea what I should be looking at? It doesnt look like I have any relevant error codes.

RFA C2115 - Tire sensor
HVAC B0446
I'm guessing the Tire sensor is your issue, is one not reporting anymore? You may need to retrain the sensors.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:36 PM
mikex7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
I'm guessing the Tire sensor is your issue, is one not reporting anymore? You may need to retrain the sensors.
That particular tire sensor hasn't worked in over a year.. So I dont think thats whats causing the problem.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:51 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

RFA C2115 - Tire sensor
HVAC B0446
Are you sure you typed the codes correctly? None of those codes will set a service light for the abs or traction control. If the lights are on you will have codes. Use the dic, not a scanner, and check the codes again.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:56 PM
mikex7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BigGun
Are you sure you typed the codes correctly? None of those codes will set a service light for the abs or traction control. If the lights are on you will have codes. Use the dic, not a scanner, and check the codes again.
I used the DIC and Im pretty positive those are the only codes shown.. Ill have another look to make sure.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:56 PM
ledesordre
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Clean the contacts on the inside of the ignition switch would be my fIrst inpulse. It can cause all these issues.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ch-repair.html

Try this easy free fix and report back.

Last edited by ledesordre; 12-22-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:49 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

I used the DIC and Im pretty positive those are the only codes shown.. Ill have another look to make sure.
Check them again. For instance, If you have a current P1631 (part of the theft deterrent system) the car will just start and stall (per service manual for a 99). It would be very unusual for the abs service lights to be on and no codes. Do not discount history or no comm codes as they also tell a story.

Are you sure the battery is now fully charged? You don't have the typical codes associated with a low battery but be sure. That theft deterrent thing could leave you stranded. Does the security light stay on?
Old 12-22-2014, 06:02 PM
mikex7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BigGun
Check them again. For instance, If you have a current P1631 (part of the theft deterrent system) the car will just start and stall (per service manual for a 99). It would be very unusual for the abs service lights to be on and no codes. Do not discount history or no comm codes as they also tell a story.

Are you sure the battery is now fully charged? You don't have the typical codes associated with a low battery but be sure. That theft deterrent thing could leave you stranded. Does the security light stay on?
The security light comes on sometimes but the car doesnt ever start and stall. Every once in a while the engine wont turn over (instrument cluster fires up but the engine does nothing), but after waiting about 5 minutes it starts fine and drives normally for a few months until the same thing happens again. Its mostly a nuisance.

The battery should be fully charged unless Im having a problem with my alternator or battery.. Ive driven it about 100 miles since the battery last died, and the battery is fairly new - about a year old.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:47 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When I start my Z06 with a low battery, shortly after start the ABS/TC messages come up and both are actually disabled. If I recharge the battery fully and do a restart it goes away.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:23 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

The security light comes on sometimes but the car doesnt ever start and stall. Every once in a while the engine wont turn over (instrument cluster fires up but the engine does nothing), but after waiting about 5 minutes it starts fine and drives normally for a few months until the same thing happens again. Its mostly a nuisance.

The battery should be fully charged unless Im having a problem with my alternator or battery.. Ive driven it about 100 miles since the battery last died, and the battery is fairly new - about a year old.
Should be charged does NOT mean it is. I need to see at least 12.5 volts measured AT the battery for it to be ready for the electronics.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If you turn the IGNITION SWITCH (OFF) and read the codes, the ones for the EBTCM will CLEAR and usually not show up.

Try this:

Clear ALL the DTC. Take the car for a drive. When you get the DIC Messages for the EBTCM, (WITHOUT TURNING OFF THE IGNITION), press reset until all the messages are gone and then read the DTCs.

IF, you have EBTCM messages, YOU HAVE EBTCM DTCs.

Post what you get using that procedure.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plugs/wires/battery died - Would this cause ABS/TC lights to turn on?

Quick Reply: Spark plugs/wires/battery died - Would this cause ABS/TC lights to turn on?