C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Pop from the rear end -

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Hzuddy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 Pop from the rear end -

Had my Vette out yesterday for the first time in a week or so. As I was turning into a convenience store (going about 10 MPH max), I heard this loud pop from the right rear of the car. Scared the crap out of me. At first I though I ran over something, but nothing was there. I coasted into a parking spot and got out to take a look. Everything looks fine, crawled under the rear and nothing was broken or leaking. The pop was loud enough to make me think I broke an axle or a ring and pinion gear. I drove the car back home (very cautiously I might add) and it seems fine. No vibration, no leaks, no funny sounds, etc.. The ONLY thing I could think of is, that I have a habit of setting the parking brake when it's parked in the garage, it's a manual so better safe that sorry. I am wondering if the parking brake had seized and finally popped loose.

Any ideas fellow vetters?? I'm a bit hesitant to drive the thing now, as I have this image of the right rear tire and wheel just popping out of the differential while I'm driving. I was driving the car normally before this happened, not on it hard or anything like that. Just normal cruising.

Thanks for any advice!

Russ

Last edited by Hzuddy; 12-21-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Navybluevette
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I would check the end links and bushings on the sway bar, bolts could be loose or a link end broke.

Last edited by Navybluevette; 12-21-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Hzuddy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Navybluevette
I would check the end links and bushings on the sway bar, bolts could be loose or a link end broke.
Checked that.... All looks good.. I read on the C6 forum about axle nuts? Trying to determine how that would be related, but you never know with these things.. It was definitely loud enough to shake the whole car..
Old 12-21-2014, 04:18 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 846 Likes on 722 Posts

Did you take a good look at the swaybar around the bushings? The rear bar is light enough it tends to break at the bushing.

Was this a straight drive into the lot or were you going over some type of curb or bump?
Old 12-21-2014, 11:54 PM
f1reb1rd
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

i have a 2004 and have had the situation 3x thus far. going slow turning into a spot but drives fine all the time at least so far. i have not been under the car to look for anything wrong event though i should but it was only on a sharp turn. but like you said it was strong click or bump. i too thought i hit something. so your not alone
Old 12-22-2014, 12:02 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Posi-trac might need additive. The rear can pop and crack when the factory stuff wears out.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...FYxDMgodJhQARA
Old 12-22-2014, 11:39 AM
The Big Guy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by tbrowne
Posi-trac might need additive. The rear can pop and crack when the factory stuff wears out.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...FYxDMgodJhQARA
I would place my $ on a bet that it is the Positraction rear end. You will notice it more in cold weather Been there did that. Stealership drained, flushed twice and refilled with Genuine GM rear end fluid and the problem has been solved over 2 years now. Only God knows how much time $ and effort I placed in over 2 years to find the 100 % fix. Cost about $ 200.00 and believe me it was worth it in spades.
The Big Guy !
Old 12-22-2014, 11:50 PM
f1reb1rd
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Default rearend clicking sound

Originally Posted by The Big Guy
I would place my $ on a bet that it is the Positraction rear end. You will notice it more in cold weather Been there did that. Stealership drained, flushed twice and refilled with Genuine GM rear end fluid and the problem has been solved over 2 years now. Only God knows how much time $ and effort I placed in over 2 years to find the 100 % fix. Cost about $ 200.00 and believe me it was worth it in spades.
The Big Guy !
good advice ill look into that thanks for heads up
Old 12-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Hzuddy
Intermediate

It was in a straight line, I was changing lanes, but no hard turns, maybe doing 15 MPH max... I've checked the rear sway bar, finally jacked it up and got a good look. All looks well. The parking brake assembly was a bit corroded, I sprayed it down with some penetrating oil, then added some WD-40. We shall see.

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Did you take a good look at the swaybar around the bushings? The rear bar is light enough it tends to break at the bushing.

Was this a straight drive into the lot or were you going over some type of curb or bump?
Old 12-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Hzuddy
Intermediate

I decided yesterday to try and find this problem once and for all... Trip to Auto Zone, 4 quarts of 75/90 Royal Purple Syn gear lube, 10MM Hex socket, a new Torque wrench, and $175.00 poorer. Jacked the car up, checked everything for anything broke or loose on the rear end. All looks good. Pulled the fill plug then the drain plug for the rear. Fluid looked really clean. I was a bit surprised. But what I did notice that when all the fluid was drained, it only measured about a quart or so of oil... Hmmm.... No leaks or areas that would have shown a leak. Drain plug back in, car level, and took almost 2 quarts (spec calls for 1.69 quarts) for it to start running out the fill valve. I have not moved the car since then due to weather, so I'll have to wait and see if this fixes the issue.

Originally Posted by Hzuddy
It was in a straight line, I was changing lanes, but no hard turns, maybe doing 15 MPH max... I've checked the rear sway bar, finally jacked it up and got a good look. All looks well. The parking brake assembly was a bit corroded, I sprayed it down with some penetrating oil, then added some WD-40. We shall see.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Pop from the rear end -

Quick Reply: C5 Pop from the rear end -