C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual trans and differential ratios

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 02:55 PM
dkuls@live.com
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default manual trans and differential ratios

My '01 C5 vert makes 560 rwhp. Wonderful. Despite adding 325 30 19" Michelin rears I have a serious hookup problem. A twin disc performance clutch has been installed, diff and trans are stock. Being old of body (young at heart) any time I get on the gas, traction is lost and/or I hit the throttle limiter. I am thinking of switching the diff from 3.42 to 3.15 (built auto trans option). I don't do the work - will I notice a bit more time to control the gas/shift? Would like to hear opinions/experience in the change
thanks for your comments
Old 12-23-2014, 03:38 PM
frodo84
Uneducated overachiever
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I would suggest stickier tires, then you can start breaking drivetrain parts . I don't think changing rear gear ratio would increase traction. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:11 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I agree with frodo84. 560 to the tires will break the stock parts. I suggest you get a trans brace, c6Z output shafts and clutch packs, then get sticky tires.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:48 AM
dkuls@live.com
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by martysauto
I agree with frodo84. 560 to the tires will break the stock parts. I suggest you get a trans brace, c6Z output shafts and clutch packs, then get sticky tires.
Thanks for your replies. I agree that stickier tires would would help a great deal and talked to the Tirerack about options. In the summer, this is my DD, except on rainy days. Tirerack says that I have the 'best' tire for the vast majority of my driving and safety. The idea of running a higher gear ratio (3.15 vs 3.42) will provide a numerical reduction in available torque when starting in 1st gear and spread the power over a greater range of mph. The transmission brace is a good idea. We plan to use upgraded parts in the diff - Merry Christmas

Get notified of new replies

To manual trans and differential ratios

Quick Reply: manual trans and differential ratios