C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calloway Honker help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 11:42 PM
bad man Barry White
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16
Default Calloway Honker help

Has anyone replaced the accordion style bellows? It's about 6"+ wide and then necks down to the factory throttle body diameter and I'd like to replace it with a silicone or other type of material to improve the air flow path.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:59 PM
drotti
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bad man Barry White
Has anyone replaced the accordion style bellows? It's about 6"+ wide and then necks down to the factory throttle body diameter and I'd like to replace it with a silicone or other type of material to improve the air flow path.

Thanks in advance!
Look inside, it is already pretty smooth.
Drotti
Old 12-25-2014, 01:36 PM
latenightlarry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i talked to calloway years ago and they r&d a smoth coupler ith no better results . and the stock one allows for engine movement.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:46 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by latenightlarry
i talked to calloway years ago and they r&d a smoth coupler ith no better results . and the stock one allows for engine movement.
They did revise the material used though. The early couplers were very hard and not very flexible, despite the accordion shape. The newer (current) material is softer and more "silicone-like" in it's flexibility, but it does retain the same accordion configuration however.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:35 PM
bad man Barry White
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '16

It's more of an aesthetic issue for me. It seems to be collapsing slightly. I'll see if I can fab something or sell it outright.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:56 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

The difficulty in making a smooth coupler is because the two ends have completely different shapes, which is also why the bellows are there, to allow flexibility. I would speak to Mike at Callaway. They were very helpful when my original couplers cracked due to the material stiiffening. Even with that corrugated coupler, the Honker is one of the best intakes of all.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Your PCM has firmware that is looking for the airflow coming through the stock accordion style bellows. When changing to a smooth coupler you are changing the velocity of the air. If it is larger or allows more air to go through it, it is actually slowing the velocity and the firmware makes the appropriate compensation to the fueling/spark/etc. Other than looks, it does nothing for a stock engine.

If you have done head/cam or other major changes then it can be an aid. Simply adding a cold air system to the intake will not make a significant change to the operation other than making the air charge more dense and requiring more fuel/spark and other changes to maximize the benefit.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:12 PM
bad man Barry White
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '16

I completely agree. Purely an aesthetic issue at this point.

Get notified of new replies

To Calloway Honker help

Quick Reply: Calloway Honker help