C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Filler Connection Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 03:43 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Fuel Filler Connection Replacement

2001 Coupe with 60k miles - no hot-rodding or tracking.

I have been getting a PO442 Code (with Check Engine light) off and on for a couple years now and replaced the gas cap twice as a possible source of that code, but apparently it is something else.

I just filled up with gas again and got the usual lingering gas smell in the garage the first night after a fill-up (usual as in the past couple years). After I drive a few miles the smell goes away until I fill up again - that is why I am guessing the connection tube between the fuel filler neck and the last tank "may" be the source of the problem I have if it is a flexible connection?

Been doing some more research and some suggest that it "may" be the elastomeric connection between the fuel filler tube and the driver's side tank degrading as a result of all the Ethanol being used in recent years. Apparently there is a recall on a lot of GM vehicles for this problem (but not extended to the older C5s).

Is that a flex-connection on the 2001 and is that something I can change through the fender well, or do I have to drop the tank to check/access it? If that is leaking, then I am guessing that would throw the codes I am getting (since a leaking gas cap is known to set that code and this would be in the same area). If that is not the source, then I guess I will have to pay for a smoke-test and be the victim to what the shop finds. I have seen no visible gas leaking on the floor - just the smell after a fill up which quickly dissipates.

If I had a 2003-2004 I would suspect the crossover tube first, but I have not heard of this being a common issue on a 2001?
Old 12-24-2014, 09:36 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Looked at my 2001 FSM. Appears you just need to remove the rear left inner wheel well liner. That allows you to access the filler and remove the actuator and the fuel door. If you need any more info let me know but it seems very straight forward.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filler Connection Replacement