C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch feel 04 Z06

Old 12-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Hutch8677
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch feel 04 Z06

Ok so have had the car a couple weeks finally did a burnout in first. After this the clutch feels spongy and the bite point in the clutch is no longer in the upper third part of the travel. Now it seems I have to put it to the floor to get it to disengage. Smelled clutch burning

Clutch isn't slipping in any gears. Tried getting it to slip on the highway in 4th and 5th with no slip. Why would the clutch feel change so fast? Do I need a new clutch? I looked at the fluid and the fluid looks clear.

Any insight?
Old 12-31-2014, 12:27 AM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There's some good information in this link.

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html
Old 12-31-2014, 02:20 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

If it's not slipping then it sounds like a hydraulics issue instead of a clutch wear issue. Then again, if you smelled the clutch burning that sounds like slipping...

The factory hydraulics are restrictive. A lot of guys upgrade the slave cylinder and master cylinder when they mod their cars or track them often. Mine has factory components and the pedal sticks to the floor when I drive it hard. Going with a Monster clutch and upgraded hydraulics soon.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:21 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I would say to get an aftermarket clutch... not necessarily because it's worn out but because it's a piece of junk, mainly the pressure plate... I had problems with high rpm shifting ever since I bought the car up until about a year ago after putting in a twin disc... I tried new and expensive fluid (motul rbf600 and castrol srf) doing a full bleed and not just changing the fluid in the clutch master, followed by a tick master cylinder which helped a little but didn't fully cure it... new clutch=problem solved for me
Old 01-01-2015, 07:39 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

MY clutch was physically broken when it was replaced, yet I couldn't get it to slip with a pull in the top gears, as had often happened with other cars when the clutch got tired, until the very end. I did get the pedal stuck once before I got it squared away.

Don't see this comment as super helpful, but thought to throw it in , just in case . My only other clutch cars were low powered obsolete sports cars, so the experience is quite different in the vette, I think that clutch more tenacious than the old pressed wool yarn friction compound designs I used to deal with.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch feel 04 Z06

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch feel 04 Z06