C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

optima charge/jump

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

Received 172 Likes on 101 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default optima charge/jump

Hello forum. Silly me let the Vette sit too long and now the battery is discharged. The DIC says low voltage and of course the car will not start. My Optima red top is less than one year old. My car is a 99 coupe. My question is if I can just jump start my car with the optima battery and or can I charge the optima with a regular battery charger?

Hope for some advice

Thanks
Old 01-01-2015, 09:44 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Be very careful jump starting, I killed my car in the driveway trying to force the issue. It used to work on the old stuff, is all I can say of my willful ignorance.

From reading here, most lead acid chargers won't pick up the voltages readings correctly, so guys link a regular lead acid battery into the circuit path from the charger to effect results. I would contact the manufacturer for options.

Battery abuse is the reason I will probably stay lead acid. Drained batteries are ,sadly, not uncommon in my world.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:33 PM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dyver
Hello forum. Silly me let the Vette sit too long and now the battery is discharged. The DIC says low voltage and of course the car will not start. My Optima red top is less than one year old. My car is a 99 coupe. My question is if I can just jump start my car with the optima battery and or can I charge the optima with a regular battery charger?

Hope for some advice

Thanks
So if I read this correctly hook a regular battery betwen the charger and the optima?
Old 01-02-2015, 01:43 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

From my reading here yes, but none in that reading mentioned the method of connection, if it is serial or parallel . I really wasn't paying close attention while reading, thinking my needs are lead acid based for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:46 PM
1996Z15
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I have an Optima in my car and use a C-Tek trickle charger; it has a setting for Optima type batteries.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

I am starting to believe that a special charger like the C-tec mentioned here is the only way to go.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:25 PM
The Big Guy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Dyver
I am starting to believe that a special charger like the C-tec mentioned here is the only way to go.

99 6mm coupe Optima Red Top 156,000 miles. For many years I have charged them using the regular 12 volt charger that automatically reduces the rate of charge as the battery gets recharged.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:06 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I keep my optima on a battery minder agm-2012 charger. I have used this charger to recover 2 dead optima batteries so they work like new. Best $99 I have ever spent.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:16 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by The Big Guy
....For many years I have charged them using the regular 12 volt charger that automatically reduces the rate of charge as the battery gets recharged.
I did that, too. I had a regular charger that could be set to a relatively low, 10A charge rate. I'd throw the charger on the car once a week, for about 45 minutes. This past summer, I decided to get an Optima brand charger. The major difference I see with the Optima charger, is it charges the battery at a varying voltage rate, and much lower amperage, over a longer period of time, compared to a regular charger.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:45 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How about RTFM:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us...care/charging/
Old 01-06-2015, 04:01 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Like everything else - it pays to go to the source and read the directions. There is a lot of good information on that site that should be read. It's just easier to ask a question on here, but read those tips.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:04 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlmd
Like everything else - it pays to go to the source and read the directions. There is a lot of good information on that site that should be read. It's just easier to ask a question on here, but read those tips.
Really, easier than 2-3 clicks on google? Problem here is you'll get a lot of Urban Legends too. AGM batteries are not the same as Lead Acid, treated CORRECTLY, the last a LONG time, my Motorcycle and Vette have one and the bikes battery is 6-7 years old now and the vette's even older.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:54 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

I was being facetious when I said it was just easier to ask a question on here. Many people come on here and other forums and ask basic questions without first trying to look for answers via Google or Search or manufacturer's websites - they just expect help without any effort on their part. And like you said, on sites like this you may get a lot of Urban Legends and other misinformation, so it's best to go to the source and read the directions first before blindly asking for assistance. Assistance is always offered freely and most of it is very valuable, but I would think a little bit of homework should be done first. JMHO.

Last edited by mrlmd; 01-07-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:02 PM
vette48
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi; Just go out and buy a BATTERY TENDER it slow charges and float charges and will keep your battery up and in perfect condition. It is cheaper than buying batteries. You can buy one from around 30 to 60 dollars . And keep it on the battery when your car is not in use for a few days or weeks even months. I have used the battery tender for over 16 years and have no bad issues what so ever.. good luck

Get notified of new replies

To optima charge/jump

Quick Reply: optima charge/jump