C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very interesting results from Vortex vs Vararam intake system

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 02:42 PM
0BreathlessPerformance.com
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Very interesting results from Vortex vs Vararam intake system

We just received Vortex vs Vararam test comparison from an independent Pro racer running in the Pro- modified class. You can go to the site below to view his letter and time slips. They are very interesting.
http://breathlessperformance.com/new_products.asp

Ernie
BreathlessPerformance.com

Old 08-07-2002, 02:56 PM
The DBK
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Very interesting results from Vortex vs Vararam intake system (BreathlessPerformance.com)

I don't know anything about your product, but I'd need to know more to make a judgement off of something like this. Most people running the Vararam are gaining significant mph, up to 3mph through the traps. Certainly while your product has proved to be a performer for this gentleman's car, I wouldn't take one man's runs to be the definitive results of an intake showdown... :cheers:
Old 08-07-2002, 03:05 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: Very interesting results from Vortex vs Vararam intake system (The DBK)

Very interesting results. I'd like to see more comparions just to see if anyone else nets the same results. As mentioned, there are people that have gained a few MPH and knocked off a few tenths by switching to the Vararam. Only time will tell since it's such a new product. But thatnks for the post!
Old 08-07-2002, 03:08 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: Very interesting results from Vortex vs Vararam intake system (The DBK)

Interesting, over 45 runs on the Vararam then 15 runs on the Vortex, averaged out and Vortex wins. Running that many runs on each intake over a couple of differant days averaged out, is better than those who put on the Vararam, go to the track one time and come back and say they picked up 1 tenth and 1 MPH! :cheers:
Old 08-07-2002, 03:28 PM
CMilVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Very interesting results from Vortex vs Vararam intake system (BreathlessPerformance.com)

Thanks for the info. :cool: :cheers:
Old 08-07-2002, 03:39 PM
Former Vendor

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: Very interesting results from Vortex vs Vararam intake system (racer44)

You have to remember that the Vortex takes the air from the lower air dam which has proven to be the highest pressure area. Air is designed to go over the vette to reduce drag and under to be traped by the air dam for cooling. The Vortex system has been around the longest and has proven itself time after time at the track, this is no exception.

Ernie
Old 08-07-2002, 04:20 PM
yelloz06
Pro

I'm sure you can find stats that would prove the opposing product the winner too :yesnod:

I wouldn't expect you to post "here are the stats that say my system is
a waste of money" :rolleyes:

I think both systems are good, heck a good driver with a stock z06 could give you some good stats :yesnod:

:cheers:

[Modified by yelloz06, 8:24 PM 8/7/2002]
Old 08-07-2002, 04:36 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Very interesting results from Vortex vs Vararam intake system (yelloz06)

anyone? ;)
Old 08-07-2002, 04:44 PM
Former Vendor

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: Very interesting results from Vortex vs Vararam intake system (yelloz06)

We spent a lot of time designing the Vortex and its placement. We used a Manometer to read the highest pressure area for its location. We found that to be the backside of the shroud. Placement of a ram air system is very important , that is what gives you the MPH. Very simple you have a surface area of the fog lights to be about 5” x 14” for both and a air dam area of about 12” x 30” you tell me which would catch the greatest amount of air.

Ernie
Breathless Performance Products
Old 08-07-2002, 04:53 PM
97C5ENVY
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very simple you have a surface area of the fog lights to be about 5” x 14” for both and a air dam area of about 12” x 30” you tell me which would catch the greatest amount of air.

Ernie
Breathless Performance Products
Old 08-07-2002, 05:03 PM
Chris Campi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not going to start this crap again. Please, enough. Your Vortex is a replica in shape of The Original Proflow+ C5 Cold-air induction, which was the best performer and quaility (Fire rated ABS ) with K&N filter.

Our Performance data showed the most gains were at the shroud as you are saying. The Vararam has its own style and will produce the power results within the same ballpark.

Old saying " It takes all types" also goes for Air induction.

I believe the Cartek Boys are always speaking about the Vararam tests - I'd like to hear a little feedback from the real world.

I, myself, will stick with my PROFLOW

Ernie No flames intended.

The systems should easily produce 20+ rwhp

Old 08-07-2002, 05:22 PM
Former Vendor

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: Very interesting results from Vortex vs Vararam intake system (Chris Campi)

This has nothing to do with Proflow. It was a test done by a Pro racer with the Vortex vs Vararam. If you have any questions about the test his number is on the letter.

Thanks
Ernie
Old 08-07-2002, 05:28 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Most people running the Vararam are gaining significant mph, up to 3mph through the traps.
Lets keep this in perspective. The vararam gets those gains over non cold air systems. Not over other cold air systems like the vortex. You'll find that the vortex gets as good and better gains than 3mph in the 1/4 also. It comes down to how much you want to spend on a cold air system. IMO, a system like the vortex does all you can do, and has the best price.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:50 PM
ncvetteman
Safety Car

I don't know anything about your product, but I'd need to know more to make a judgement off of something like this. Most people running the Vararam are gaining significant mph, up to 3mph through the traps. Certainly while your product has proved to be a performer for this gentleman's car, I wouldn't take one man's runs to be the definitive results of an intake showdown... :cheers:
People running Vortex rammers have seen those same type of results for years.

Not saying the Vortex is better, but the Vortex (and Proflow) are the cheapest and perform as good as any.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:21 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Very interesting results from Vortex vs Vararam intake system (ncvetteman)

It seems like he would have been better off going back to the shorty B&B headers. It looks like he lost most performance as a result of the header change? Doesn't make sense, does it? :cheers:
Old 08-07-2002, 06:44 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once upon a time my car was stock. I met Ernie at Breathless Performance the day after Thanksgiving 2000 and he was nice enough to install his Vortex system on my virgin corvette himself...All I can say is that this one modification made a significant difference for me. I can't speak for the Vararam but Ernie did his homework with this Vortex and the bottom line is...IT WORKS!:D
Old 08-07-2002, 06:47 PM
Xssesive
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Very interesting results from Vortex vs Vararam intake system (ncvetteman)

Ernie I for one will stand behind the Vortex because of its easy install, much cheaper price and not having to worry about my wife hydrolocking the car in the rain! :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Very interesting results from Vortex vs Vararam intake system

Old 08-07-2002, 06:51 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: Very interesting results from Vortex vs Vararam intake system (wwashing)

It seems like he would have been better off going back to the shorty B&B headers. It looks like he lost most performance as a result of the header change? Doesn't make sense, does it? :cheers:
Yes, but that is not what we are talking about, he put the Vortex back on and the numbers got better, that's what were talking about!!! :smash: :smash: :cheers:
Old 08-07-2002, 07:37 PM
West Coast Corvette
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

Ernie,
I will vouch for your intake as being the best intake, hp per dollar. We have tremendous feed back from our customers regarding this intake and I myself have just run a 12.11 @ 115.65 mph with your "Vortex Ram Air Intake" and the standard bolt on's, in my 2000 Hardtop LS-1. That is why we use this intake as a standard part of our WCC Performance Packages.

Todd
Old 08-07-2002, 08:45 PM
Miles in Michigan
Drifting

Do you think you could get all the data from the guy? He doesn't say if it's averages, or best runs, or what.

It'd be great to have every time slip, including temperature and density altitude, 60', etc.

Quick Reply: Very interesting results from Vortex vs Vararam intake system