C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the left and right DCM be swapped to diagnose a prob?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Can the left and right DCM be swapped to diagnose a prob?

Ive read conflicting info on this. My window doesnt work on the drivers side even after swapping the motor assembly. So before I pul the passenger sid stuff off...Im asking if they can be swapped to check?

I dont want to do the work to pull the passenger side one just to find out it wont fit. Anyone have a 100% Answer?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Nobody knows the answer to this? Tried searching but didnt find what i was looking for.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:54 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I couldn't find part numbers, but from the connector diagrams I looked at, I would say, NO. Don't waste your time. I suggest you pm Dadaroo or Bill Curlee. They could send you schematics and connector diagrams so you can diagnose the problem.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:47 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

OK I looked at the schematics. You can swap the right module into the driver side.

The passenger module has fewer wires/pins into the module/connectors than the driver side since it controls fewer things. However, the connector/module pins are the same for the things that they both do.

So you should be able to swap the modules and see if you can make the window work.

PS: The connector shapes are IDENTICAL. I also just remembered seeing one post in the last couple of years where someone did swap them for diagnostics.

Last edited by dadaroo; 01-24-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Thanks Guys! The most annoying thing in the world is not having a drivers side window that works! Ill swap them out and see what happens. I was really erked when I swapped the window motor only to find out i still had the same issue.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:12 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Common result with parts changers that don't first diagnose the cause of a problem.
Im confused by your condescending tone. Not even really sure if you were trying to help or just posting part numbers. I knew the part numbers were different. I also knew they say passenger and drivers side as I had the drivers side one off. What I didnt know is if they could be swapped for diagnoses. It almost seems like you were trying to imply that they couldnt for sure without knowing yourself. I didnt just throw a part at the car in the hopes of it working. From my Diagnoses every symptom my car was experiencing pointed to the window motor assembly...
Old 01-25-2015, 09:39 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

No, what he meant was he and I would have done voltage checks to further diagnosis the issue down to the source of the issue. If the motor was not getting voltage we would have looked further upstream.

I teach failure analysis in the Nuclear industry and what I caution engineers on is replacing items without a known reason. I have seen cases where this was done and a problem part was put in place of a good part which really complicated their search in the end, thinking it could not be that part. We got things back on track with only hours before having to shut the plant down which would have cost several million dollars.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:12 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Thinking about this now...your right i shoulda. But i did check it (the old motor) after removing it and couldnt get it to move. Just checked it again cause you said that and I actually got it to move this time. But It might not even be the box after thinking on it. I could bang on the door and the window would start working again. Thats what had me pretty sure it was the motor. Then after that stopped working i figured the motor was dead.

If I could bang on the door and it work though then that means maybe I have a problem with my door wiring also. Im gonna check that before worrying about swapping the boxes.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:11 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

We just helped a guy who had a door issue and we told him to check the door connector in the A-pillar. He did and that was the problem.

Here is the link with a picture link to the connector.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588804064
Old 03-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

I Would like to take a second to thank you guys. Without yall id prob still be sitting here shaking my head!

Turns out it wasnt the motor or the box. It was the wiring. But it wasnt the Outside door wiring. It was the connector that goes to the DCM that wasnt fully making a contact. So I pulled out ALL the connectors that were of that style and pushed all the contacts back out and cleaned them.

So basically I learned that chevy connectors suck lol. I know where to look when I have electrical problems now. At least it was free (Minus my new motor)

Last edited by Johnny wangwang; 03-15-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:08 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Thank you for updating the Thread.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:34 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

And thanks to the three AMIGO'S

8VETTE7, dadaroo, and Bill Curlee... what an awesome trio to have!

Get notified of new replies

To Can the left and right DCM be swapped to diagnose a prob?

Quick Reply: Can the left and right DCM be swapped to diagnose a prob?