C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much Trans Fluid in Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:44 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Default How much Trans Fluid in Radiator?

I have a 2001 A4 Coupe.

I am getting ready to replace my stock radiator with a DeWitts. How much Trans fluid should I expect to lose when I disconnect the lower Transmission line from the radiator? How much does the radiator normally hold?

My plan is to try to refill it from the top transmission connector on the radiator before reconnecting the top line to the new radiator (after the bottom line is reconnected). Not sure if I did that if it would overfill the transmission system? I disconnected the top line tonight with the car level (just to check to see what kind of connector I had to order the new radiator) and no fluid came out the top - so I guess the radiator does not completely fill will fluid?

My further plan is to drive the car to a local shop to have the transmission fluid and filter changed soon after the radiator install, but did not want to burn up the trans in the meantime!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:40 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Item #5 here:

Based on size alone, I would estimate approx. 12 - 16 oz, maybe a bit more.

Quick Reply: How much Trans Fluid in Radiator?