C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak from HELL. (2002c5 ls1)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil leak from HELL. (2002c5 ls1)

I have been chasing this leak since I got the car last fall. First I thought it was coming from the cracked PCV line so I did the home depot fittings and fuel line fix. No luck. So I purchased on of the harbor freight mechanic scopes where I could get the camera and light behind the intake and look around. Back of the top of the engine is wet so I go for the oil pressure sender. No luck still drippn. Next I decide I'll do the LS6 valley pan to do the PCV fix because I got stains from oil coming past my throttle blade and while I'm in there I'll change the oring on the cam position sensor. The valley pan had issues of its own but I still have the leak. Today I get the car up on my ramps clean all the oil off the underside of the engine check oil pan bolts find 2 loose look up the proper torque and secure them. Start the car let it run for 10 min and I have drips. So I bust out my scope and go looking. It's coming from that friggn cam position sensor. When I put it in it went in easy and I thought to myself there should have been more resistance than that. So off with the intake once more and my question after all of that is if I just but a new sensor and oring do I need to take it for a tune or does the computer care at all that it is a new sensor?
Old 01-27-2015, 03:11 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Spare Time Toy
I have been chasing this leak since I got the car last fall. First I thought it was coming from the cracked PCV line so I did the home depot fittings and fuel line fix. No luck. So I purchased on of the harbor freight mechanic scopes where I could get the camera and light behind the intake and look around. Back of the top of the engine is wet so I go for the oil pressure sender. No luck still drippn. Next I decide I'll do the LS6 valley pan to do the PCV fix because I got stains from oil coming past my throttle blade and while I'm in there I'll change the oring on the cam position sensor. The valley pan had issues of its own but I still have the leak. Today I get the car up on my ramps clean all the oil off the underside of the engine check oil pan bolts find 2 loose look up the proper torque and secure them. Start the car let it run for 10 min and I have drips. So I bust out my scope and go looking. It's coming from that friggn cam position sensor. When I put it in it went in easy and I thought to myself there should have been more resistance than that. So off with the intake once more and my question after all of that is if I just but a new sensor and oring do I need to take it for a tune or does the computer care at all that it is a new sensor?
The CAM Sensor is a plug and play device. No need to do any tuning.

Bill
Old 01-27-2015, 05:19 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

I gained 10 hp by tuning the cam sensor.......
Kidding!

Hope that fixes the leak for you!

Ron
Old 01-27-2015, 11:15 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

hopefully you don't have a leaking rear main seal and/or slave if you have a stick car, they will leak in the same area and are far more labor intensive repairs than a cam sensor... you might pull your inspection cover just to check

Get notified of new replies

To Oil leak from HELL. (2002c5 ls1)

Quick Reply: Oil leak from HELL. (2002c5 ls1)