C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for new clutch, recommendations ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:38 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Time for new clutch, recommendations ?

It's about time for a new clutch.

Last edited by Sinister-one; 01-27-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:56 PM
Impulsive goat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just went from a monster stage 3 to a monster stage 2. I'm at 457rwhp holds great much more street friendly than the 3. Unfortunately I have no comparision to stock though. Others I would look at is the ls7 if your going to stay around 400-450 area or the mantic er2 has great reviews. Plenty of reviews on here if you search a little bit.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:10 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
It's about time for a new clutch. Lokking for something in the 400-450 hp range.

Any recommendations ?

Already ordered some new coupler kits.

Saw the post from Gene Culley for the LS7 clutch kit. That looks like a pretty good deal.
Check out the LT1-S street twin, rated 700 RWTQ and drives like stock. Feel free give us a call if you have any questions.

Originally Posted by Impulsive goat
I just went from a monster stage 3 to a monster stage 2. I'm at 457rwhp holds great much more street friendly than the 3. Unfortunately I have no comparision to stock though. Others I would look at is the ls7 if your going to stay around 400-450 area or the mantic er2 has great reviews. Plenty of reviews on here if you search a little bit.
Thanks for the vote!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:19 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Check out the LT1-S street twin, rated 700 RWTQ and drives like stock. Feel free give us a call if you have any questions.
Too rich for my blood. $1K +price tag.... pass on that one.

Last edited by Sinister-one; 01-27-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

So no clutch recommendations...... Wow....

Looks like I'm on my own with this one and we're done here !!
Old 01-27-2015, 10:54 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

McLeod Twin, choose based on your requirements. The feel of this clutch is so nice!!
Old 01-27-2015, 02:56 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Monster stage 2

Monster stage 2 with the lightweight billet steel flywheel. This set up is lighter than a ls7 kit. Price is reasonable and Good for 500rwhp.
Clutch has a great feel and only slightly stiffer pedal pressure than my original ls6 clutch. Deals for this setup show up on the forum a lot.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:28 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I went with the McLeod rst, red street twin. easy to modulate, and rebuildable, I bought on price and reputation with the goal in mind of a lighter clutch pedal stroke, as the old knees have some miles on them . It is billed as holding 800 hp, so should last for a while in my stock installation. I have been running it for a couple of years, no complaints, other than a dull slight rattle noise from the extra disk once in a while at idle. If It bothers me, I will cycle the clutch pedal and it goes away. I might do that at a long light, but it is not intrusive, and only happens when the stuff comes to rest a certain way.

I would assume that the technology is well understood throughout the industry, given a decent amount of money I would expect fine results, provided the product matches your purchase goals. Since the factory item is for sale, I would expect most other products are aimed at different needs. Be aware that some are designed for speed, not pleasure driving, since the factory clutch is still in the market.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:20 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

So no clutch recommendations...... Wow....

Looks like I'm on my own with this one and we're done here !!
well we need to know what kind of power you are making or plan on making in the future... we could recommend an ls7 clutch not knowing you're making 850 to the tires and you would be pissed off when it slips like crazy... plenty of people are willing to help but when you ask such a vague question and then get an attitude what do you expect?
Old 01-27-2015, 11:33 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

here we go again....
Old 01-28-2015, 10:13 AM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

here we go again....
Let's start over.

What is done to your car?

How much power does it make?

How do you drive it?

How do you use it?

What's your budget?

Give us this information and we'll recommend you a clutch. Of course I'll recommend Monster because I own it, but, there are other options that people here will recommend.

Start by giving us enough information to help you, then we'll help you.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:03 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

So much information to assist us with your decision.

I have the Mcleod RST twin disk on my 640WHP supercharged ZO6, mated to their lightweight aluminum flywheel, and Tick Master cylinder, and I love the feel. A little more firm than stock, but not bad. And with the lightweight aluminum flywheel, it's so rev happy - feels like a race car. Took a while to get used to, but once used to it, it's like second nature. I daily drive mine as well.

By the way, I have heard nothing but good things about the Monster clutches as well.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95rtturbo
So much information to assist us with your decision.

I have the Mcleod RST twin disk on my 640WHP supercharged ZO6, mated to their lightweight aluminum flywheel, and Tick Master cylinder, and I love the feel. A little more firm than stock, but not bad. And with the lightweight aluminum flywheel, it's so rev happy - feels like a race car. Took a while to get used to, but once used to it, it's like second nature. I daily drive mine as well.

By the way, I have heard nothing but good things about the Monster clutches as well.
Thank you.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:58 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Let's start over.

What is done to your car? - Vararam, cam, LS2 intake, headers w/high-flow cats.

How much power does it make? - 400'ish

How do you drive it? - Daily driver

How do you use it? - Daily driver

What's your budget? - depends what's required with the info provided above.

Give us this information and we'll recommend you a clutch. Of course I'll recommend Monster because I own it, but, there are other options that people here will recommend.

Start by giving us enough information to help you, then we'll help you.
Answers to your questions in RED.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:59 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Thank you.
Sure. What power are you looking to support? A twin disk is really kind of overkill for anything less than 500+ WHP.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:04 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95rtturbo
Sure. What power are you looking to support? A twin disk is really kind of overkill for anything less than 500+ WHP.
400 on my current set-up, probably no more than 450.... if I just happen to come across a good deal on a nitous kit.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:08 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

an ls7 probably would be the cheapest and would be fine at your power level and give you a little room to grow... I would stay away from a stock ls1/ls6 replacement as they are known to cause shifting issues at higher rpms, surely you have experienced this before if you drive the car hard... if you don't want to spend a grand then you can pretty much count out a twin disc... a good aftermarket single disc would probably run in the $600-$700 range... also depends how much power you want to add in the future, if you plan on boosting it then I would go ahead and get a good twin disc now, a clutch is not a job I would want to do twice if it can be avoided

Get notified of new replies

To Time for new clutch, recommendations ?

Old 01-28-2015, 02:17 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

^ Agreed. The LS7 clutch would be more than sufficient for what you are planning.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:23 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by neutron82
an ls7 probably would be the cheapest and would be fine at your power level and give you a little room to grow... I would stay away from a stock ls1/ls6 replacement as they are known to cause shifting issues at higher rpms, surely you have experienced this before if you drive the car hard... if you don't want to spend a grand then you can pretty much count out a twin disc... a good aftermarket single disc would probably run in the $600-$700 range... also depends how much power you want to add in the future, if you plan on boosting it then I would go ahead and get a good twin disc now, a clutch is not a job I would want to do twice if it can be avoided
Curious to know, what's so funny ??

And yes, I have noticed shifting issues when jumping on it hard. I've been looking at a Stage 1 SPEC clutch set-up. And I did find a local speed shop to do the clutch swap for a fair price.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:24 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

AND I also have a spare steel flywheel sitting in my garage with a couple of hot spots on it that I was going to get resurfaced.

Quick Reply: Time for new clutch, recommendations ?