C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing airbridge

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:16 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default replacing airbridge

Would going from a stock airbridge to a powerduct air bridge require a retune? I know powerduct claims the flow is different but is it enough different to affect the tune? I am just planning on switching it for cosmetics.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:41 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
Would going from a stock airbridge to a powerduct air bridge require a retune? I know powerduct claims the flow is different but is it enough different to affect the tune? I am just planning on switching it for cosmetics.
Hey Randy, did you run this question by Doc by any chance? I've seen various (sometimes conflicting) tales about this over the years. Based on their particular experiences, some say yes and others say no. It may also be more of a year-dependent thing with some having different MAFs and IAT sensor locations, etc.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:57 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Thanks Robert. I emailed Jeff but haven't heard back yet.

Last edited by JaxEagle; 01-27-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Going from a stock coupler to a smooth coupler will actually slow down the velocity of the air movement into the engine. The PCM has firmware the interprets the air movement and changes several tables the PCM uses for its fuel management program.

Most will not notice any difference unless you are going to drag race and depending on a number of variable it might very slightly increase or decrease your times. Many will notice the difference with a rougher decel because the car is running leaner. A tuner can take care of both situations, but unless you autocross, HPDE or drag race it may not be worth it. However it will increase the noise of acceleration and most will "feel" improvements in the butt-o-meter.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:25 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Going from a stock coupler to a smooth coupler will actually slow down the velocity of the air movement into the engine. The PCM has firmware the interprets the air movement and changes several tables the PCM uses for its fuel management program.

Most will not notice any difference unless you are going to drag race and depending on a number of variable it might very slightly increase or decrease your times. Many will notice the difference with a rougher decel because the car is running leaner. A tuner can take care of both situations, but unless you autocross, HPDE or drag race it may not be worth it. However it will increase the noise of acceleration and most will "feel" improvements in the butt-o-meter.
Thank you for the reply. Makes sense velocity would slow down moving away from the stocker.

When you say "it will increase," you mean noise and butt-o-meter will increase with the new tune or without, or both?
Old 01-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Both, it just feels faster without a tune and will be fast with a tune.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:20 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Both, it just feels faster without a tune and will be fast with a tune.
Gotcha, thanks! I may suck it up and just re-tune. Just seems a bit wasteful to re-tune for only a new air coupler.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:29 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
Gotcha, thanks! I may suck it up and just re-tune. Just seems a bit wasteful to re-tune for only a new air coupler.
Wasteful is to retune a stock engine. If an auto you might want to do some trans tuning or adjust the fan turn on temps but otherwise just leave it alone.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:34 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BigGun
Wasteful is to retune a stock engine. If an auto you might want to do some trans tuning or adjust the fan turn on temps but otherwise just leave it alone.
Thanks BigGun. I'm going to do it. Its far from stock and its not auto.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:52 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

The best way to go a larger air bridge and CAI, integrated into one unit, is to buy a Callaway Honker. Smooth looking and flowing, OEM quality and works great. All in one piece.

Get notified of new replies

To replacing airbridge

Quick Reply: replacing airbridge