C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!2001 C5 Auto Won't Turn Over After Sitting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Lockettk
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!2001 C5 Auto Won't Turn Over After Sitting?

I love my rescued 2001 automatic C5 but a recent problem it has developed is killing me. On 2 occasions within the last month the car will not turn over at all after starting fine initially if it sits for more than a few hours. The frustrating thing is the problem is intermittent. Some days it runs fine and then, with no warning symptoms it just won't turn over as if the battery was completely dead leaving me stranded. The 1st time this happened at work I left the car at work overnight and set up a tow to the dealer the next morning. By coincidence I turned the key to see what would happen and the car started normally! I drove to the dealer anyway and they could not identify any problem. It started for them normally. Yesterday the same no turn over dead problem happened but this time I towed it to the dealer. Car would not turn over there yesterday evening. Not sure if it started for them this AM like it did for me earlier.

Doing a forum search it looks like others have had a similar problem with this year C5 but I could not see any definitive root cause or solution identified.

Can anyone help shed some light on what the problem might be that's causing this and what the fix might be? NEED HELP!
Old 02-12-2015, 01:19 PM
igtabg1
Racer

I had a similar problem a few years back after chasing my tail for a few months it was crank position sensor, its behind the starter. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:45 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Old 02-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Lockettk
6th Gear

Thanks to all who replied. Dealer said cause is a failed starter. The problem symptoms would support this finding. Will follow up to let everyone know if this fix solved the problem. (Not Cheap)
Old 02-15-2015, 09:45 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My vote goes towards a new key. If you already have 2 of them try your backup when it happens again.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:46 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

didn't see your last post let us know if it works out.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:03 AM
Lockettk
6th Gear

I picked up the car from the dealer Mon, 16 Feb with new starter. Total cost with OEM part $720! Car turns over much more quickly now. Have not had a chance to see if sitting then dead problem reoccurs. However have noticed that it turns over much faster and stronger. Think the new battery is happier now. Will let all know if the problem resurfaces.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:29 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lockettk
I picked up the car from the dealer Mon, 16 Feb with new starter. Total cost with OEM part $720! Car turns over much more quickly now. Have not had a chance to see if sitting then dead problem reoccurs. However have noticed that it turns over much faster and stronger. Think the new battery is happier now. Will let all know if the problem resurfaces.
WOW, you get any lube with that or they just ram it in dry.

Hope that fixed your problem, sounds like it did.

Get notified of new replies

To Help!2001 C5 Auto Won't Turn Over After Sitting?

Quick Reply: Help!2001 C5 Auto Won't Turn Over After Sitting?