C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering fluid change

Old 02-15-2015, 02:45 PM
chasb4570
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Power steering fluid change

Thinking about flushing/changing the power steering fluid before Phoenix sees summer again. Need advice on the best way to accomplish getting most of the old fluid out of the entire system and how much fluid is there in the system. I have sucked out and replaced the fluid in the reservoir several times but would like to do a more complete change as possible with all new fluid, maybe Royal Purple. Not sure if synthetic trans fluid such as Amsoil would work.
Thank you.
Chas B.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:07 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by chasb4570
Thinking about flushing/changing the power steering fluid before Phoenix sees summer again. Need advice on the best way to accomplish getting most of the old fluid out of the entire system and how much fluid is there in the system. I have sucked out and replaced the fluid in the reservoir several times but would like to do a more complete change as possible with all new fluid, maybe Royal Purple. Not sure if synthetic trans fluid such as Amsoil would work.
Thank you.
Chas B.
Amsoil synthetic works just fine. My preferred fluid.

Getting ALL the old fluid out is messy and a PITA and then there's the possibility of some amount of air being trapped and not fully purged after installing the new fluid.
I have been using the turkey baster method a couple times a year for several years. No problems whatever.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:18 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Any good synthetic will do fine. Skip the Amsoil and save some dough for other uses.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:13 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You need to disconnect the return line and dump it into a container. Easiest would be to pull the line off the reservoir and cap the nipple. Then, run the engine and dump in new fluid so it pumps out into the container. If you want to go all-out have someone turn the wheel while doing it.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering fluid change

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering fluid change