C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Wont Stat at Times

Old 02-22-2015, 06:51 PM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Default 01 Wont Start at Times

Hi all, I am having a problem raise it's head with my C5. It ran fine all the way up to last Monday. It sat for 3 days and would not start when I went to crank it afterwards. When I would go to crank it, I would not get anything from the starter. Not a click or anything.

However, the instrument panel lights would light in the "on" position and go dim in the start position. Same as the under hood lamp. All guages reacted with the key in the "on" position, as well.

I thought it was a problem with the battery going out so I changed it. I charged the battery for a bit and the car cranked. I then replaced the battery. I charged the new one over night and the car ran great today. However, I just went to crank it and I'm getting the same no crank problem again. Any thoughts on what the problem could be? Thanks.

Last edited by hgoodwiniii; 02-22-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:06 PM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The security light goes out in the crank position. Thanks. I will check for codes tomorrow; Ok, since I have a standard and I had to replace the balancer on my car a few months ago, I had to move the starter to lock the flywheel. Seemed to me at that time to get the starter completely out (if needed), you have to completely drop the exhaust. Let me know if correct. Thanks.

Last edited by hgoodwiniii; 02-22-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:49 AM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, I never completely removed the starter when doing the balancer work. I was able to just move it to the side enough to lock the flywheel.

I'll check the wiring to and from the starter to make sure everything is intact and connected. I tried to crank it this am and still no go.

From your remarks, sounds unlikely there is a problem with the security system so l'll focus on the starter. Seems to me in the old days (70s - 90s) you would at least get a click or something if the solenoid/starter were bad.

Last edited by hgoodwiniii; 02-23-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:45 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

To me, it sounds like you either have a bad connection on the wiring to the starter or you have an electrical drain that is discharging the battery.

You could try unhooking the battery while it sits to see if the battery remains charged or check the battery voltage (right at the battery) with a meter before you try to start it.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:03 AM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I pulled the starter yesterday. The solenoid "s" terminal was so corroded that it broke off when I was trying to unbolt the wire that bolts to it. I went old school and tested the starter by connecting it to the battery with cables and all I would get is a click. If my memory serves me correctly, it's supposd to spin fully.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:56 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I think that is correct, can U rap it to see if the solenoid will engauge the starter while U have power to it. Just curious, did U have to drop the exhaust system to remove starter? Lot of work to remove the starter.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:03 AM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I had to unbolt the exhaust from the manifolds and that hanger/brace towards the back center of the car then pry down on the exhaust to get the starter out. You are right. It's a lot of work just to remove the starter.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:20 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

May want to consider replacing starter with the two long bolt design while u have it out. I am sure u have read about this issue. Good luck
Old 03-02-2015, 12:40 PM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Points taken; Thanks.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:55 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I have a weird no start issue at times. The dash does everything like normal, no codes etc. When I try to start it, it will not. Everything goes like normal but the vehicle does not turn over. I wait 3 minutes and it will start. Pretty sure my problem is in the vats system but I cant figure out what. Since it starts after waiting 3 minutes I quit trying to figure it out.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:42 AM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok all, after having my starter rebuilt by the electrical shop I've been using for probably 20 years, I installed it. After mounting it, I can honestly say I was not prepared for what happened when I went to connect the positive battery post to the battery. As soon as the positive battery post touched the battery, the starter started spinning with no key in the ignition and the ignition in the off position. I'm totally confused. I'll have the starter checked in the am. Anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Could this be due to the a bad ignition switch that I've just in the past few days been made aware is common with the C5s? Thanks.

Last edited by hgoodwiniii; 03-04-2015 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:35 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 462 Likes on 374 Posts

Did he do something that would have caused the TDR to hang?
Old 03-04-2015, 05:53 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Great explanation but could this have been his issue from the beginning? I know the starter wiring had to b repaired but...... can u unplug the relay and run without it, i think not but just curious. I guess u could wire around it if u were in a pinch. Will b watching this for resolution.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:37 PM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I sure hope it was not a bad (idoit) install job by me. I've put what seems to be a million starters on in my lifetime. I put the small terminal wire on the "s" terminal of the solenoid. The remaining 3 (2 rust colored you could say + the positive battery terminal) on the larger "top" solenoid terminal and bolted her up.

Ok, so from what I am understanding; The problem could be the TDR, a bad shop rebuild with the starter (solenoid) or the ignition switch.

I've been advised to take a test light to the solenoid "s" terminal, connect the battery cables without the starter/solenoid installed and have someone turn the key to the start position;

The test light should light with the key in the "start" position and go dark with the key in any other position. If this happens, there is a problem with the solenoid. If not, more than likely the TDR. Let me know if I'm on the right track. Thanks.

Last edited by hgoodwiniii; 03-04-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:48 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 462 Likes on 374 Posts

Without the diagram, that makes perfect sense the way you articulated it...
Old 03-05-2015, 08:03 AM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, I put a test light to the "s" terminal of the solenoid and grounded it. The light came on only with the key in the "start" position. It went out when the key was released. Leads me to believe something is wrong with the solenoid or my install. You all agree or could there be something else? I'll see what I can do about getting a wiring diagram posted. Thanks.

Last edited by hgoodwiniii; 03-05-2015 at 08:09 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 01 Wont Stat at Times

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 Wont Stat at Times