C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E3 Spark plugs vs stock plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:31 AM
Shane Haywood
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E3 Spark plugs vs stock plugs?

I just swapped out my old LS1 for a LS3 480 HP hot cam motor. I have the same add on's as the LS1 except for the Yank 3800 stall converter vs stock SC in the LS1 . I used to average 17-19 MPG in the city depending on how heavy my foot was with the LS1. With the new motor I’m only averaging 12-14 MPG. It’s not that I’m broke and can’t afford the nice cheap fuel we have been getting lately, I just figure any more improvement can’t hurt. Anyone have any good luck with the E3 plugs in there vette’s or other cars? Oh and the 130HP gain sure feels nice by the way...

Add ons from stock :
LS3 480 HP hot cam motor
LG Motorsports long tubes with high flow cats
Hurricane Cold air intake

Last edited by Shane Haywood; 02-23-2015 at 05:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:29 AM
chasb4570
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

One word sums it up, JUNK!
Chas
Old 02-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plugs really won't make that much of a difference, unless they are fouled. Did you have the car tuned for the new mods/engine?
Old 02-24-2015, 03:41 AM
Shane Haywood
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dcollins3208
Plugs really won't make that much of a difference, unless they are fouled. Did you have the car tuned for the new mods/engine?
Yes there is an awesome tune, Speed Secrets has done a tremendous job at tweaking the tune to perfection. And the more I did some research the E3 doesn’t’ do as well as I thought they would. I'm going to stick with the AC Delco’s. The motor runs flawlessly, I was just trying to squeeze in a few more MPG. I like the top end speed vs the 0-60 speed, so later this year I am going to switch my 3:15 ratio to the 2:73’s which will give me a little more MPG on the freeway and maybe the city MPG too…
Old 02-25-2015, 03:25 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Theres a LOT more to an awesome tune than just WOT Power.

What type of tune do you have? Speed Density or do you still use the closed loop MAF/O2 sensors?

Did your tuner spend any real time trying to adjust the VE table to get it 100% correct?

If you are still using the MAF,, Did they do a proper MAF calibration?

Examine your Long Term Fuel Trims (LTFT) during idle and part throttle cruise (CLOSED LOOP) and see if they are at ZERO of slightly negative.

If not, that tuner needs to do some more tuning with the car ON THE STREET to tweak your tune for real world driving.

Another question,,, Do you have two new primary O2 Sensors in the system? If they are not and are fowled, you will not be able to properly control closed loop fuel efficiency/ AFR.

Check to see if your O2 sensor outputs are properly switching high to low, low to high,,,, ect ect.

I have EFI Live and can easily self monitor the PCM. I also have a SCANNER that can read LIVE SENSOR DATA and will let you see that data.

Bill
Old 02-27-2015, 04:05 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Thanks for the post, I learned a little about tuning specifics , but was mostly happy to find another concerned about gas milage. If I blow up the LS1, I would probably go ls3, trying to keep it simple, but would expect more power means more gas, since I think the designs are about as efficient as known tech will allow. And the car already has enough power for the street with the ls1. Still no harm in finding out if something can be done besides bicycle tires @ 150 psi all around.

I was in a museum once that had a small display of various spark plugs, antique, from before the optimum design was established. I thought it interesting, and was glad some old coot somewhere long ago thought collecting old strange spark plugs was a good idea.
I certainly wouldn't have considered it, but think the E3 plugs would fit into that display, as a later version of a previous design. Wish I could remember where I saw the exhibit, I look at a lot of stuff, having little to no cut off point as to what is worth viewing.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:59 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Most new fancy spark plugs that come out don't really live up to their claims. Its like throttle body spacers. Who remember split fire plugs?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:03 AM
terryg
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default E3 Spark Plugs

Originally Posted by Shane Haywood
I just swapped out my old LS1 for a LS3 480 HP hot cam motor. I have the same add on's as the LS1 except for the Yank 3800 stall converter vs stock SC in the LS1 . I used to average 17-19 MPG in the city depending on how heavy my foot was with the LS1. With the new motor I’m only averaging 12-14 MPG. It’s not that I’m broke and can’t afford the nice cheap fuel we have been getting lately, I just figure any more improvement can’t hurt. Anyone have any good luck with the E3 plugs in there vette’s or other cars? Oh and the 130HP gain sure feels nice by the way...

Add ons from stock :
LS3 480 HP hot cam motor
LG Motorsports long tubes with high flow cats
Hurricane Cold air intake
I haven't tried them but I'm pretty sure electric follows the path of least resistance, so 1 electrode or 3, the spark will only jump 1 gap unless they are all exactly the same which is unlikely.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Dopinoesvette
Intermediate

I use E3 plugs in all my yard equipment engines
Old 03-07-2015, 11:47 AM
Mike Beck
Racer

Those Split Fire plugs actually worked in my 1988 Formula 350 when it was stock. The cast iron heads back then were junk! When I changed the heads to the Corvette aluminum heads, there was no longer a difference between the AC plugs and the Split Fires.

I would bet the E3's will do nothing for any engine that has a decent head which most cars have today. Stationary type engines though may run smoother with them.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:03 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Dopinoesvette
I use E3 plugs in all my yard equipment engines

Get notified of new replies

To E3 Spark plugs vs stock plugs?

Quick Reply: E3 Spark plugs vs stock plugs?