C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No heat, no A/C, no defrost,

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 07:22 PM
1991RallySport
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No heat, no A/C, no defrost,

I've been trying to diagnose this for a week now. I searched but nobody seems to have the exact same problem.

I lost everything all at once. When I turn on heat, a/c, or defrost nothing happens. No noise of a fan blowing at all. I removed the blower fan & tried putting in another from Advance, nothing at all. So AC Delco unit in car, fan not blowing, generic, same problem. I think it might be a fuse or power source of some sort. Is it a fuse I need to check or is more complicated than that. I hate to take it to a mechanic & pay labor but I'm lost.

Anyone else have this problem? Car is a '98 with auto climate controls if that helps. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:44 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like if you lost it so quickly, the first thing would be to check the fuses, and the easiest. Check under the passenger for fuse 52-blower motor, it may be under fuse cover for the numbers , if not, do a search and get a free owners manual to help. Once you locate it, you can probably trade out a similar fuse to see if it works, if it does, you've got it. Good Luck
Old 02-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check the fuses. The HVAC fuse is in the interior panel. I don't remember if the blower fuse is in the interior or exterior fuse panel
Old 02-24-2015, 09:21 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Does the display on the unit light up and show anything?

Check/test fuses 18 and 27 in the passenger fuse box as a start.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:12 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The HVAC control unit feed its CONTROL SIGNALS to the FAN CONTROLLER. That controller is mounted on the under side of the HVAC AIR BOX (just to the left of that FAN you replaced.

Its a black box that connects to the main harness and the FAN pig tail plugs into it.

They are WELL KNOWN to go bad. YES,, They are expensive to replace.

Pop it out and take the box apart See if the circuit board has melted foil traces and or blown components:

Bill
Old 02-26-2015, 01:33 PM
CROOZ1N
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill, is the fix as simple as soldering a piggy back wire along side the damaged trace or is there an underlying cause that needs addressing before the repair?
Old 02-27-2015, 08:04 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well,,,,, Most of the time something causes the module to draw more current than it suppose to handle so,, that trace smokes.

I have one that smoked and didnt see any root cause just by eye balling it. It was given to me so, I have yet to mess with it. Give it a try and see what happens.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To No heat, no A/C, no defrost,

Quick Reply: No heat, no A/C, no defrost,