C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 clutch or MCLOED

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 05:33 AM
Chichi1986
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 clutch or MCLOED

I have a 2003 z06 intake, headers, tune making just under 400whp. I need a clutch because im tired of having the pedal sticking issue. What clutch do you guys recommend. I dont wanna have clutch issues again and wanna do things right the first time around because im not made of money. I do visit homestead motor-speedway once a month for drag racing. Also if MCLOED clutch is purchased do i go with the rst or rxt and which one has a longer clutch life. Thanks
Old 02-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Bobtam
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Monster stage 2

I have the same mods and hp. Installed a Monster Stage 2 with lightweight billet flywheel. No more. clutch pedal On the floor and clutch feel is great.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:04 AM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chichi1986
I have a 2003 z06 intake, headers, tune making just under 400whp. I need a clutch because im tired of having the pedal sticking issue. What clutch do you guys recommend. I dont wanna have clutch issues again and wanna do things right the first time around because im not made of money. I do visit homestead motor-speedway once a month for drag racing. Also if MCLOED clutch is purchased do i go with the rst or rxt and which one has a longer clutch life. Thanks
If you haven't looked at it yet check out the Monster LT1-S street twin, its rated to 700WHP/TQ, drives like stock, and will have the longest life of any after market twin.

Originally Posted by Bobtam
I have the same mods and hp. Installed a Monster Stage 2 with lightweight billet flywheel. No more. clutch pedal On the floor and clutch feel is great.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:42 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

What are your future mods? If you don't plan to break the 600ish hp mark a ls7 is a good and budget friendly clutch. If you plan to go for more power go with a Mcleod. The RST is an organic surface material clutch I believe. Organic clutches burn up easier when slipping I believe. The RXT is a metallic material and is better for launching but will make more noise due to the materials. I personally have a RST and make 735 rwtrq. Its been great. I do not really do much track or dig racing though
Old 03-02-2015, 09:24 PM
20vette0107fatboy
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Mcload rst stock flywheel....Done
Old 03-02-2015, 11:03 PM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My RST rattles a bit sometimes in neutral.

So unless you plan on road-racing, drag racing heavily I'd suggest the Ls7 with a lighter flywheel.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 AM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to hijack your thread with negativity, but you mentioned the clutch pedal sticking? Have you checked/changed your clutch fluid recently? That could certainly be a culprit... Just something to think about before dropping the $$$ on a clutch.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:24 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

RST gets our vote along with brand new GM hydraulics! We also have THE BEST prices on the monster as well. the RST will be very easy to drive, its organic so it can slip a little if you are that type of driver and itll hold like crazy. Smooth engagement also.

Last edited by COSPEED; 04-09-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:04 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I had the RST and loved it and my girl drove it with no issues. I now bought a rxt. I currently make 668rwhp shooting for more so I needed a higher hp clutch. You cant go wrong with them.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What about a Centerforce?

I have a Centerforce Dual DYAD and it feels like stock.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:47 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I am making 630 atm and now I am rethinking getting a ls7 clutch for my car after reading this
Old 03-04-2015, 05:52 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums
What about a Centerforce?

I have a Centerforce Dual DYAD and it feels like stock.
junk clutches. kick that junk **** along with their dual friction bs to the curb with the other ho's and back hand it a couple times across the face before you kick it.

Last edited by COSPEED; 03-04-2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:53 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

people need to stop comparing the ls7 clutch to anything. if you want an ls7, make sure you are running a car with mild bolt ons. it's a stock clutch. it's nothing special. i'd run it in a car that sees no drag racing, only street racing that's pushing 450 hp. if you want to run that clutch and do a summer's bracket racing, no more than 400 hp. it's not that great of a clutch.

other options and proven are the mcleod rst and rxt. the rst uses a stock type disc and holds around 800 hp. you can spray it the clutch will slip because of the disc material as it is really setup for crazy n/a power. but if you want to spray, go with the rxt which uses a stronger metallic type disc and is more grabby holds about 1000hp and is great for spray/kitt turbo boost,fnf supercharger power. i wouldn't really like it for a daily driver. the rst is okay for daily driving.

now to answer the op's question. edit your title and take out the "ls7" part lol

here are the links for your enjoyment. as a matter of fact, everyone's enjoyment.

mcleod rst
http://www.coloradospeed.com/mcleod-...gt-p-7061.html

mcleod rxt
http://www.coloradospeed.com/mcleod-...gt-p-7384.html

run a steel fw, not a aluminum one
http://www.coloradospeed.com/mcleod-...ls-p-6543.html

on a corvette since they are light and it is a street car, you want a steel fw. if you road race which you don't, then you would get a aluminum flywheel because you want the flywheel lighter in that case.

if you have around 20-40k miles on the current setup, get a new slave cylinder. don't worry about a new master cylinder, the stock ones on the z06 are excellent and you don't need an adjustable m/c neither.

don't forget to get new fw bolts, a new pilot bearing and again, a new slave if it is needed.

PM coSPEED2 above to get your order going and he'll get you the pricing on the accessories bs you need. you can paypal or use a cc. just message coSPEED2

Last edited by COSPEED; 04-09-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:42 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Do it once, Mcleod RST or RXT.

I'm personally running the RXT with their billet steel flywheel and love the combo.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:27 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
Do it once, Mcleod RST or RXT.

I'm personally running the RXT with their billet steel flywheel and love the combo.
yes. always buy a new billet flywheel. DO NOT reuse your old stock iron nodular flywheel by "resurfacing" it. it will not dissapate heat as well and will warp faster. think of the "resurfacing" of brake rotors analogy.

too many people want to buy a 800 dollar clutch and reuse a high mileage stock flywheel and then bitch and whine the clutch is toasted.

this guy here is smart. he paid to play and got the billet steel flywheel and called it the day. his attitude of "do it once" is right. DO IT ONCE AND PAY ONCE OR DO IT WRONG AND PAY TWICE.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:24 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

As a low skill consumer of auto parts, it took me a long time to select a replacement clutch, so I always enjoy when others have a favorable opinion about my selection, the RST with a steel flywheel of the same brand.

It can , infrequently, rattle a little at idle, but drives well on my stocker. I can modulate the clutch to just chirp the tires a bit when all eyes are on me at take off.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:41 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

^ be prepared to hear it was from "improper install" or you didnt "shim it" etc etc.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 clutch or MCLOED

Old 03-04-2015, 10:23 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Originally Posted by coSPEED
yes. always buy a new billet flywheel. DO NOT reuse your old stock iron nodular flywheel by "resurfacing" it. it will not dissapate heat as well and will warp faster. think of the "resurfacing" of brake rotors analogy.

too many people want to buy a 800 dollar clutch and reuse a high mileage stock flywheel and then bitch and whine the clutch is toasted.

this guy here is smart. he paid to play and got the billet steel flywheel and called it the day. his attitude of "do it once" is right. DO IT ONCE AND PAY ONCE OR DO IT WRONG AND PAY TWICE.
Can I reuse my mcleod steel flywheel with 20k and just have it resurfaced/smooth or do I need to buy a new one? I just bought a rxt to replace my rst but was going to reuse the mcloud steel one. Are they just a 1x use? Again this is not a stock flywheel but a mcloud steel flywheel..Never jeard of them as a 1x use as long as its in tolernace to be resurfaced..

Last edited by Chicago1; 03-04-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:49 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

The Mcleod will be fine. His rant was in reference to the stock iron flywheel. The mcleod are one of the best out there. I would feel confident in running it machined as long as it is in spec after.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:31 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
The Mcleod will be fine. His rant was in reference to the stock iron flywheel. The mcleod are one of the best out there. I would feel confident in running it machined as long as it is in spec after.
Do you have those specs or should I call mcloud? I was going to have the machine shop balance it and do there thing. Just wanted to double check thanks

Quick Reply: LS7 clutch or MCLOED