C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new quiet exhaust help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:52 AM
1999C5JSS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new quiet exhaust help needed

Hi Guys. so I have 4 weeks to order a exhaust up for my stock c5

from my searching around I see the magnaflow

15713 is quietest

16732 is step up in noise

I love the look of the tips on the 15713 4" polished

I know corsa makes a quiet version on the

touring series but I really don't like the look of the tips.

does anyone know about the the magnaflow 15713 having a drome sound?

do x pipes help?

maganaflow 15713
Old 02-26-2015, 12:45 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Both brands are top quality, but the Corsa Touring will be similar volume as the Magnaflow 15713, My older Magnaflow was too quiet for me, but it had a very sweet, deep tone. Yes, it does have a little resonance, but nothing like Borla Stingers. The Corsa does not. Corsa used to offer a choice of tips, so check that out. I have Corsa Pace Car (older) with Daytona tips. (two large ovals) and I really like Tigershark tips, too.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:27 PM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm curious, can someone indicate where the sound of the Z06 Ti falls in that comparison. I've got a stock C5 like the OP, but bought a Ti (in storage) in case I convince myself to install it....
Old 02-26-2015, 10:52 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_engr
I'm curious, can someone indicate where the sound of the Z06 Ti falls in that comparison. I've got a stock C5 like the OP, but bought a Ti (in storage) in case I convince myself to install it....
Search Youtube....I saw a few videos on how the stock Ti's sound
Old 02-27-2015, 07:05 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

The Ti's are a little louder under acceleration but quiet when cruising. No drone. Now I am H/C and glad I have them. Also free up a lot of weight and won't rust. I personally think they are the best option, especially when bought used and in good condition for less than many of the aftermarket systems.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:58 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The Ti's are a little louder under acceleration but quiet when cruising. No drone. Now I am H/C and glad I have them. Also free up a lot of weight and won't rust. I personally think they are the best option, especially when bought used and in good condition for less than many of the aftermarket systems.
I wish I had kept mine, instead of selling off to buy more parts. The only thing you give up is tip choice, and stockZ Tis are pretty quiet.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:27 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

My used convertible came with the stuff in question. No complaints, looks nice. A little loud for my tastes, but then the entire car is a statement of excess.

I never noticed a drone, and have trained hearing with a good ear.

But in response to a post here, I slowed down and paid close attention. I was able to create a resonance if I was careful . By listening and with a careful throttle, I was able to excite a resonance out of the car, but it was controlled , soft and in the low RPm range. I also had to have the top up.
I expected some kind of noise trade off, it's not like the GM guys put Mr. Stupid in charge of the original design.

while I favor a quiet car, I'm satisfied with a little more noise in the interest of efficiency .
I have a broken clip, and, although I was not the person that gave Magnaflow any money, they offered a full replacement. I declined, only wanting a fair deal, but am still looking for the right stainless weld technique combined with a muffler shop rack. The rest of my exhaust is stock.

Everything vibrates, it just a question of frequencies, and when they become a problem. A closed car will resonate differently than mine, but throw a real fat chick in at shotgun, and the frequencies change again. You can't stop vibrations, you can only move the frequencies out of the problem area.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:03 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

does anyone know about the the magnaflow 15713 having a drone sound?

do x pipes help?
I had this catback.
It drones a lot even with an x pipe.
It was a waste of money.
I took it off after 2 days and sold it to another member here for 1/2 price and a week later I saw he was selling it too.
Get a Corsa for a little more money and you won't be disappointed.

I wanted my exhaust a little louder and added this muffler bypass to my Corsa that came with my car, using some Pep Boys electric cutouts that let me dial in how loud I want it and when like for a WOT blast

Haven't had a chance to try it out on he road yet due to winter snow but I know it will be good

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 02-28-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:37 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Do not buy the Magnaflow if you value your sanity. I had it as my first system and the drone on the highway was unbearable. 10 mins and instant headache.

Have B&B Fusion now and have the very best of both worlds, quiet when I want it and wide open when it matters!

Get notified of new replies

To new quiet exhaust help needed

Quick Reply: new quiet exhaust help needed