C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping battery cables from 02-04 C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:27 PM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Swapping battery cables from 02-04 C5Z

Good afternoon guys. I was thinking that during my cam/head project that I would replace my battery. I had to modify the existing battery cables in order to hardwire my battery tender into the cables. I was thinking of changing from the PITA side-post battery to a top-post. I know 04 Vettes have top-mount cables. So is there any special way to swap the cables from my 02 for cables from an 04? I haven't had a chance to trace them out yet. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IIRC you just need to get the cables and swap them. should be a direct swap. pretty cheap and gets rid of the terrible side post design. I have not done the conversion myself as i have a 2004 C5, so you might want to look into it before getting all the way in and finding some differences that the '04+ cables dont accommodate for but looking at pics of the Old and New design it looks to be a easy swap.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...or-2001-a.html

S

Last edited by RedZMonte; 03-02-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:34 AM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Is there any way you could snap me a picture of the connections? I'm a little leery of the clamping that is used... I've heard bad (also good) things about them. I'm just so sick of having a side-post and having to be a contortionist to get the cables loose.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:59 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

The idea of top posts is good and in my opinion better than side posts. The OEM clamps for the top post style in the C5/C6 are a piece of (you can fill in the rest). With that said, if you go to a top post design you can remove the OEM clamps and replace them. Or, just do it once the OEM ones start giving you issues which may happen sooner than later.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:14 PM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dadaroo
The idea of top posts is good and in my opinion better than side posts. The OEM clamps for the top post style in the C5/C6 are a piece of (you can fill in the rest). With that said, if you go to a top post design you can remove the OEM clamps and replace them. Or, just do it once the OEM ones start giving you issues which may happen sooner than later.
That's exactly what I've heard. I guess if they give me trouble down the road I can always cut and replace the clamps for something better.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

why not just swap to a battery that has both top and side post like an optima? you can connect it with the factory cables and have the top post for your charger, jump starting or any thing else you want to connect
Old 03-04-2015, 08:29 AM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stroker87
why not just swap to a battery that has both top and side post like an optima? you can connect it with the factory cables and have the top post for your charger, jump starting or any thing else you want to connect
Because I hate the side-post design and want something different. I had to buy aftermarket battery bolts to mount my charger and I had to modify the boots on both cables. They've been a PITA ever since and are even causing charging issues with the car. I bought an Optima with top posts only, so that's already been decided.

Get notified of new replies

To Swapping battery cables from 02-04 C5Z

Quick Reply: Swapping battery cables from 02-04 C5Z