C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purpose of the bypass hole in throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:06 PM
martsink
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purpose of the bypass hole in throttle body

I was just curious what purpose the bypass hole serves in the throttle body (top left). Is this for idle? My project requires that I mount the TB away from the intake due to clearance issues, so I'm just wondering what I can do about this hole.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:19 PM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The hole is for the inlet air for the PCV system. Note it ties into the metal tube just above it, and runs to a rubber hose that goes into the valve cover. It has nothing to do with the idle system. Under normal, high vacuum operation, it sucks in air to circulate thru the crankcase and then thru the PCV orifice. Under WOT it allows crankcase pressure to reverse and flow into the throttle body and be digested by the engine.
When Mark Shaner ported my TB he left the hole, but epoxied in and smoothed around it so it had less disturbance on the air flowing into the intake manifold.

DG
Old 03-04-2015, 01:27 PM
martsink
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by The Wrench
The hole is for the inlet air for the PCV system. Note it ties into the metal tube just above it, and runs to a rubber hose that goes into the valve cover. It has nothing to do with the idle system. Under normal, high vacuum operation, it sucks in air to circulate thru the crankcase and then thru the PCV orifice. Under WOT it allows crankcase pressure to reverse and flow into the throttle body and be digested by the engine.
When Mark Shaner ported my TB he left the hole, but epoxied in and smoothed around it so it had less disturbance on the air flowing into the intake manifold.

DG
Thanks for your reply. Yesterday I realised that I was looking at it all wrong, I thought the hole goes straight into the manifold intake, but it actually going into the sealed off section, so all the air goes through the crankcase tube. I definitely agree with smoothing it out, that sharp edge doesnt look like it helps with airflow
Old 03-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Heres a pic of a Shaner ported TB with the modded inlet hole:

You can also block off the water circulation hoses that feed hot coolant into the TB. The engine doesn't need it. The C6 TB doesn't have it either.

I guess if you live in Antarctica, you may need it!!!

Bill
Old 03-04-2015, 02:55 PM
martsink
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Heres a pic of a Shaner ported TB with the modded inlet hole:

You can also block off the water circulation hoses that feed hot coolant into the TB. The engine doesn't need it. The C6 TB doesn't have it either.

I guess if you live in Antarctica, you may need it!!!

Bill
Wow, that some impressive workmanship
Old 03-04-2015, 03:00 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Thanks for the pictures, good to see how it is done well.

If I ever get stuck on a desert island with my throttle body in hand, now I will have something productive to do.

The info about the water channels was also appreciated.

Last edited by strand rider; 03-04-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Purpose of the bypass hole in throttle body

Quick Reply: Purpose of the bypass hole in throttle body