C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 02:50 AM
katrinacop
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loose Headlight

I was wondering if anyone had a schematic of the headlight assembly. Just after I had a tuner shop install my Night Ryder headlights my left headlight kind of fell off... Long story short I my left headlight is wobbley... not solid like the other one. I discovered they lost the sleeves (You guys know what I'm talking about) to some of the bolts just under the painted top lid.
I am hoping you will tell me thats the cause of the "unstable" headlight but I think its the large steel pin below the headlight that I did not reinstall properly causing the issue. Thats why I'm asking for a schematic, to make sure its put back together properly. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:54 PM
BadMedcn
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel your pain. It is a very annoying issue as you can see the light beam itself bouncing and people in front think you are flashing at them........just annoying as hell.
There are two plastic sleeves(or bushings), one on each side of each light. They are over the bolts used to hold lights in place and also the pivot point when they open and close. As thin as they are, if one is broken or missing it will do as you are reporting. Worse, you can't buy the replacements. I have been experimenting with various materials, so far no joy. My light continues to shake and vibrate. Reminds me of the old saying, " For want of a .25 part, the war was lost." Find something to substitute that fits and the problem is fixed......but you have to find something. I have been tempted to check the local junk yard for a trashed C5 that still has the light assembly in place, and remove the bushings. Let me know if you come up with something better.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:00 PM
katrinacop
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BadMedcn
I feel your pain. It is a very annoying issue as you can see the light beam itself bouncing and people in front think you are flashing at them........just annoying as hell.
There are two plastic sleeves(or bushings), one on each side of each light. They are over the bolts used to hold lights in place and also the pivot point when they open and close. As thin as they are, if one is broken or missing it will do as you are reporting. Worse, you can't buy the replacements. I have been experimenting with various materials, so far no joy. My light continues to shake and vibrate. Reminds me of the old saying, " For want of a .25 part, the war was lost." Find something to substitute that fits and the problem is fixed......but you have to find something. I have been tempted to check the local junk yard for a trashed C5 that still has the light assembly in place, and remove the bushings. Let me know if you come up with something better.
Thanks for responding. I bought these ($25!!! Expensive!!) I'll post if that does the trick.
http://www.shop.jwmotoring.com/produ...&categoryId=-1

Last edited by katrinacop; 03-08-2015 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Added link to the forum product
Old 03-08-2015, 06:04 PM
BadMedcn
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Outstanding! I am sure that will solve the issue, and I too will order them from JW. I suspect that these will provide better function than the plastic sleeves GM used. Thanks for the tip!

Get notified of new replies

To Loose Headlight

Quick Reply: Loose Headlight