C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 wiring questions on a build

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:42 PM
kelly a
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 wiring questions on a build

Hi, I have a 2004 c5 rolling chassis I am putting under a 1947 Ford COE. What I would like to do is use the traction control and the anti lock brake options that are on the car. Does anyone know who could help me with this? I have all stock wiring harnesses and computers that came with car.

When I was looking to start this build I was going to use a pickup frame or something in that line. But the problem was I didn't want something that rode and handled like crap. I went to my brothers for the weekend and took a ride in his C5 and was hooked. My brother and I both have corvettes. 61 for me and 68 and 02 for my brother.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks Kelly
Old 03-03-2015, 11:10 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The rolling chassis, wiring harness & computers won't know what body is over them, go for it
Old 03-04-2015, 08:48 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Based on just the 2 options you mentioned.

Have you thought ahead on how you are going to address things like the instrument panel and lighting just to mention 2 things?
Old 03-04-2015, 02:32 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Should make for a nice "slammed" 47 look forward to seeing your build

It has been done before...

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/AN1...COE/Automatic/

the reason I posted this, is that maybe you can track down the builder and get some already... been there, done that assistance. no point on reinventing the wheel so to speak...

Last edited by 73Corvette; 03-04-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:51 PM
kelly a
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Based on just the 2 options you mentioned.

Have you thought ahead on how you are going to address things like the instrument panel and lighting just to mention 2 things?
Speartech makes a gauge set and harness that look very nice.
As far as the lights,brake lights and turn signals I will make a harness and use a separate fuse block assembly. I know I can get a stand alone harness for the engine, but I don't think that will run the brakes a the traction control.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:07 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You'd have to install the PCM and ABS system. Plus you might need the BCM and/or the cluster.

The ABS to PCM interface is a PWM signal using a couple of wires so that part is simple to connect.

I believe the ABS traction control and competition mode is switched via the button through the BCM and the mode is also indicated on the cluster. If you don't care about switching it, you may get away without any of those parts but if you want to switch the modes you need them.

The issue to check is if the ABS system requires communicating on the serial bus to work. There are star bus connectors in the passenger footwell of a C5. You could disconnect the serial link to the ABS system and see if the ABS still functions. If it does, then it's a relatively easy install assuming you don't want to switch modes.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:18 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I can understand a modern rolling chassis under a Hod Rod, but personally I wouldn't worry with abs & traction control.

I'd install a Holley ecu & Racepak Smartwire system

Get notified of new replies

To 2004 wiring questions on a build

Quick Reply: 2004 wiring questions on a build