C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC Issues- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 09:12 PM
cquig20
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC Issues- HELP!

NEWBIE Vette owner.

I had a previous post a couple days ago about the electric issues i was experiencing but those have gone away. HVAC issues are still present.

Drivers side only blows cold, passengers side only blows hot. Temperature does not change when adjusting hot/cold controls.

Recently had Drivers side actuator replaced ( Drivers side previously did not blow hot or cold)

Ran DIC and these are now the only two codes showing up:

B0441 H C

B0446 H

Mechanic i'm going to says that BCM needs to be reprogrammed to fix these issues, but based on some previous feedback on here i'm thinking this may not be the case. I had a U1064 H code but i cleared that and it hasn't came back.

Should i go ahead and get re-programmed or should i go a different route?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-10-2015, 12:34 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

You might want to read thru this thread...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-problems.html
Old 03-10-2015, 01:24 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

There is no bcm programming needed when replacing actuators. I don't know what your mechanic hopes to accomplish. Did it work for a while and then go out?
Old 03-10-2015, 11:18 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Clear your codes and then run the HVAC again and then pull your codes BEFORE you turn the ignition to OFF.

Most codes go to H when you turn the ignition OFF. The C may still remain but could clear once you delete it and try the system again. At least it is free to try.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:41 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Your user infor says you have only made 5 post... so, I'm assuming your fairly new to the C5 forum even though you've been a member since 2013... I said all that to say this
I would bet my LAST dollar that dadaroo knows more about your C5 HVAC than most GM certified mechanics.... so, let him help you.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:22 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

So you have two of the best, most knowledge guys on the tech forum to walk you thru this...you might have to take their advise, so you can relay that info to your mechanic, if you aren't doing the work yourself. Doesn't sound like your mechanic is qualified to fix your problem. Just sayin
Old 03-10-2015, 12:29 PM
cquig20
Heel & Toe

Yes, only 5 posts, bought my 02 vette a year 1/2 ago. Have never ran into issues until now...

Thanks Dadaroo, I will try this and report back.

8VETTE sent me link that instructed me to do the process that involved pulling fuse 27 out of passenger fuse relay. Unfortunately that did not work.

Whenever I clear the HVAC codes, I hear a noise in the dash for about 3-5 seconds and then it slowly comes to a stop.

From what I've been hearing my only option (if messing with the codes doesn't work) is to have someone take off the dash and examine both actuators.

Any other suggestions?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:44 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...actuators.html

some of this info may be helpful.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:52 PM
cquig20
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dadaroo

Clear your codes and then run the HVAC again and then pull your codes BEFORE you turn the ignition to OFF.

Most codes go to H when you turn the ignition OFF. The C may still remain but could clear once you delete it and try the system again. At least it is free to try.
I did the steps mentioned above. Cleared my codes and then turned the engine on and ran HVAC. Ran the codes again while engine/hvac running and only had one code showing (just the B0446 H, the B0441 H C was gone). I then cleared the codes while engine running (HVAC set to full heat) and could feel heat come out of the driver side for about 3-5 seconds and then it went back to cold. Tried this same process with the HVAC cranked to cold with same result. Passenger side did not change temperature and stayed on hot throughout process.

I wil try pulling the 27 fuse again in an attempt to recalibrate with temperature controls set at 12 o'clock and see if that works.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:29 PM
cquig20
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Great link. Read pretty far into it and it doesn't look all that complex to get into drivers actuator and check out the gears. I'll take a stab at it and let you know what i find...
Old 03-10-2015, 10:46 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Cool just take your time...good luck
It helps me sometimes to take a picture with my cell phone to help with re-assembly, and keep screws in labeled baggies so you don't have to wonder what went where?
Old 03-11-2015, 06:56 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

OK, I want to make sure we all know

B0441 is the Driver side
B0446 is the Passenger side

Also:

Re-Calibrating Actuators

Use the following steps to perform the calibration update:

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
2. Remove the battery positive voltage circuit fuse of the HVAC Control Module (fuse #27).

Important
The module memory will not clear if the battery positive voltage circuit fuse is installed in less than 60 seconds.

3. Wait 60 seconds.
4. Install the fuse.

This procedure reset the HVAC unit and must be done exactly as I have posted.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:00 AM
cquig20
Heel & Toe

OK, I want to make sure we all know

B0441 is the Driver side
B0446 is the Passenger side

Also:

Re-Calibrating Actuators

Use the following steps to perform the calibration update:

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
2. Remove the battery positive voltage circuit fuse of the HVAC Control Module (fuse #27).

Important
The module memory will not clear if the battery positive voltage circuit fuse is installed in less than 60 seconds.

3. Wait 60 seconds.
4. Install the fuse.

This procedure reset the HVAC unit and must be done exactly as I have posted.

I've tried pulling the fuse 27 multiple times with no success. I hope the fuse hasn't gone bad from pulling it out and back in the handful of times I have done it.

Also I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time digging into the drivers side actuator. This is the B0441 code that also has the "C" attached to the end, the B0446 passenger side code just has the H at the end. Is it possible based on this info that if I do reset the gears on the driver side actuator, the passenger side will also eventually work (instead of blowing just hot)?
Old 03-11-2015, 09:16 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

This was as interesting discussion...had some different suggestions

http://www.c5forum.com/forum/ubbthre...t&Number=29759
Old 03-11-2015, 09:41 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cquig20
I've tried pulling the fuse 27 multiple times with no success. I hope the fuse hasn't gone bad from pulling it out and back in the handful of times I have done it.

Also I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time digging into the drivers side actuator. This is the B0441 code that also has the "C" attached to the end, the B0446 passenger side code just has the H at the end. Is it possible based on this info that if I do reset the gears on the driver side actuator, the passenger side will also eventually work (instead of blowing just hot)?
You said you already replaced the driver side actuator. I don't know if you cleared the B0441 H C code after that and it came back. It is not there now, but the right side is there and that is where your problem is now.

You say the driver side seems to work OK and it is not throwing codes but the Passenger side is.

It is apparent to me your Passenger side issue is with the Passenger actuator. I must say I am curious why no C code is showing.

Hope that helps.

If you need instructions on removing the dash I have it. It is much easier than you would think. An easy Novice DIY as many have done it.

PS: Just reread the Posts and see the Driver side at this time may just be blowing cold but no codes. Not sure if that may indicate an HVAC control unit issue.

Last edited by dadaroo; 03-11-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:31 PM
cquig20
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
This was as interesting discussion...had some different suggestions

http://www.c5forum.com/forum/ubbthre...t&Number=29759
Thanks a lot. I'll give the fuse box pull a shot. One question- the thread states to turn engine on, run AC, and pull the 18 and 27 fuses but it does not state if the engine should be on or off when you re-insert the fuses. What would you recommend?
Old 03-11-2015, 12:35 PM
cquig20
Heel & Toe

You said you already replaced the driver side actuator. I don't know if you cleared the B0441 H C code after that and it came back. It is not there now, but the right side is there and that is where your problem is now.

You say the driver side seems to work OK and it is not throwing codes but the Passenger side is.

It is apparent to me your Passenger side issue is with the Passenger actuator. I must say I am curious why no C code is showing.

Hope that helps.

If you need instructions on removing the dash I have it. It is much easier than you would think. An easy Novice DIY as many have done it.

PS: Just reread the Posts and see the Driver side at this time may just be blowing cold but no codes. Not sure if that may indicate an HVAC control unit issue.

I was able to clear the drivers side code B0441 H C but once I turned engine off and re ran the DIC it showed up again and its there currently. The passenger side code has never cleared and reads B0446 H.

Could you forward over the instructions for removing the dash? Thanks so much for your help with this.

Get notified of new replies

To HVAC Issues- HELP!

Old 03-12-2015, 07:02 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Sorry to hear the driver side C came back. Biting the bullet and pulling the dash is your best bet at this time.

Wish you had a spare control unit to swap in to see what effect it has.

Make sure you bag and tag your various fasteners so they can go back in the correct spot.

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2013...-dash-removal/
Old 03-22-2015, 01:42 PM
cquig20
Heel & Toe

Sorry to hear the driver side C came back. Biting the bullet and pulling the dash is your best bet at this time.

Wish you had a spare control unit to swap in to see what effect it has.

Make sure you bag and tag your various fasteners so they can go back in the correct spot.

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2013...-dash-removal/
Thanks to you guys, i have successfully removed the dash

Now i assume the fun begins....So to recap my issue- Passenger side only blows hot, drivers side only blows cold. Now that i have removed the dash and can see a lot more, are there any other items (besides the actuator) that i need to inspect or pay attention to that may be related to my issue? I plan on trying to fix the passenger side first. Based on the threads i've viewed, i should remove the actuator open it up and re-index the gears. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice? I'm pretty deep into this now and want to make sure i'm doing this right.

Also, battery had died during the dash removal (it was already low prior to the removal). I put a charger to it and turn the key so the electronics turned on. When i did this fuse 45 started buzzing...any thoughts on why this would happen?
Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Yes low voltage. When relay coils don't get adequate voltage they will buzz. Fully charge your battery before you try it again. If it still happens let us know.

Quick Reply: HVAC Issues- HELP!