C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensor help. PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 06:57 AM
Chichi1986
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor help. PLEASE!!!

Car is a C5Z06 with LG street headers. I am using only the front O2 sensors. I used the original rears with the connections from the LG headers. The car kept throwing P0134, 133,154,160 all that stuff. lol. I found out that fuse #15 had blown out and i replaced it. The car has been running very rich and now does not throw the engine light but when i run through the codes they still pop up as current. When i tuned the car my tuner told me he wasn't able to do a street tune because the car wasn't picking up the sensors but he was able to tune the wide open throttle on the dyno for max power. The car is driving poorly. Its not bucking but i can defiantly tell its running very rich from the smell and because of the power loss during regular driving. I don't want to take it to a shop for something s dumb as O2 sensor. Please help me out guys. Side not the rear sensor connections have been fried by the headers. lol
Old 03-11-2015, 07:02 AM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a short, wires may be melted together or exposed and touching metal somewhere. I'd bet your fuse is blown again. Jack up the car and check the 02 sensor connections from the sensor all the way up
Old 03-11-2015, 07:19 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

The O2 sensors should be plugged into the flat plug on each side, and they should be plugged into the same side, i.e., driver's side O2 to driver's side plug and passenger side O2 to passenger side plug. With LG headers they are easy to reverse since the sensors are installed at an angle.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:22 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Welcome to long tube headers !! The inherent problem with LT's is that they have to move the front 02 bungs back as much as 2-3 feet---This makes the 02's not heat up correctly and give erroneous 02 readings-- 02's typically only last 2-3 years
Moving the rears to the front is a helper--as you've already done that
However there is NO 100% fix of this issue--Tht's why LT's are illegal in many states
The end result is exactly as you describe----The P/T fuel become very rich
A tuner can do a few things to help like lowering the 02 switching points from.450 to a much lower .300 or so---again not a 100% fix but helps---
PS: You can check the operation of your 02's with most any handheld scanner that reads live data---A properly working 02 will bounce around voltages VERY rapidly from .150 millivolts to .950 millivolts -Check to see if they are oscillating rapidly
A DEAD 02 will flatline at .450 millivolts---Also once an 02 gets fouled--it's junk !!

Get notified of new replies

To O2 sensor help. PLEASE!!!

Quick Reply: O2 sensor help. PLEASE!!!