C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers door doesn't lock with fob or door switch *beating a horse*

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:53 PM
85RIT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drivers door doesn't lock with fob or door switch *beating a horse*

All:

Seems a common problem with C5's, and a lot of resources online to troubleshoot.

I have used them all, and "think" it is the relays on the circuit board.

As I troubleshot down through, things I have noticed:
1. I am getting power to the module (eliminating a wiring problem to the door)
2. "Seems" I am getting power to the actuator (volt meter on the plug on that end) as I lock and unlock the doors. I can see a brief voltage reading, though not accurate.
3. Seems the relay's are clicking, though I know that it might not be making enough contact and they might still be making enough.
4. Not sure exactly how the circuit works (no schematic), I notice that with no power to the actuator (just setting) there is continuity across the 2 wires that go to the actuator. When I Unlock, there is a brief interuption. When I Lock, continuity remains with no interruption.

So, I'm to the point where:
1. I just buy two new relays and replace them
2. Swap modules from passenger door to drivers door, though I am not thrilled about taking the other door apart as I had a few internal suprises with the drivers door (no biggies, just annoying).
3. Whats the best way to get a reliable 12V to the actuator to cycle it either direction to elminate that? Two wires from the battery? Battery charger?

Thanks all, and sorry for beating this horse again.

Ben

Quick Reply: Drivers door doesn't lock with fob or door switch *beating a horse*