C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Tornado

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 08:08 AM
quimbo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Tornado

I know I will most likely get laughed at with this question but has anyone tried the Tornado which is advertised on TV and which has been written
about in Hot Rod magazine? Its supposed to increase fuel mileage and increase your HP at the rear wheels. I ordered one I figured for 70 bucks what do I have to loose there is a money back guarantee if your not satisfied.

Quimbo :cheers:
Old 08-11-2002, 08:15 AM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: The Tornado (quimbo)

I've thought about ordering one for my daily driver. Just to see if it really improves the gas mileage. They really do make the commercial convincing. Most of the crap you see on TV is BS, but even if it improves gas mileage by 2 MPG, that's worth it to me. I put about 45,000 miles per year on my Celica, and 2 MPG would really add up.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:26 AM
MilYellow02
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: The Tornado (QuickSilver97)

It does not work on our Vettes :nono: buy an exhaust plate instead :yesnod:

And when you send it back, you have to pay a 15 - 20% restocking fee :rolleyes:

Oh, and welcome to the forum :cheers:

[Modified by MilYellow02, 2:27 PM 8/11/2002]
Old 08-11-2002, 10:36 AM
John's vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I have a problem believing that guy with the fake Rolex and gold chains, really has a vette, much less that girl. :nono:
Old 08-11-2002, 10:36 AM
quimbo
Drifting

Default Re: The Tornado (MilYellow02)

Hey MilYellow have you tried it? how do you know it will not work on the 98
vette do you have any info?

Quimbo :smash: :U
Old 08-11-2002, 11:42 AM
C5 StockSwap
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Quimbo:

I haven't tried it myself, but it has been discussed a few times on the forum and I believe some good explanations of why the Tornado will not improve our vettes is included.

Go search the archives and current posts under Tornado...you should find some threads.

Bottom line...I just don't trust TV testimonials for car performance. This group of corvette owners should be your primary sounding board. The numbers and the knowledge here should be your basis for decision making.

JMHO.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:54 AM
robiferretti
Drifting

Default Re: The Tornado (C5 StockSwap)

its a scam :yesnod:
Old 08-11-2002, 12:08 PM
quimbo
Drifting

Default Re: The Tornado (robiferretti)

Well I ordered one and will post the results I have a freind who has one on his ford pickup and he swears by it so Im willing to try and let you guys know if it works or if its bulls_ _t

Quimbo :eek: :cheers: :U

[Modified by quimbo, 4:10 PM 8/11/2002]
Old 08-11-2002, 02:11 PM
los7883
Melting Slicks

I have a friend that has a ricer car and also says he can feel a big difference...(then again those stickers do add 50rwhp) :smash: Well I use mine as a daily driver and would also like to know if it improves mileage...I don't see it adding 10-20hp though, let us know what you find out.
Old 08-11-2002, 03:23 PM
ScreaminDemon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This reminds of that commercial where there running an engine for hours and hours with no oil in it and also spraying it down with a garden hose, trying to convince you to buy some oil additive. Notice they don't run the engine without the water on it? Water makes an extremely good lubricant! :smash:
Old 08-11-2002, 03:27 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

You just flushed $70 down the toilet. This is one of the bigger scams in automotivedom. Why would anyone with a brain think that putting something in your air intake that BLOCKS and REDUCES airflow is going to help power and fuel economy. If anything, it does the opposite. Have fun!! :rolleyes:
Old 08-11-2002, 03:38 PM
quimbo
Drifting

Default Re: The Tornado (QUIKAG)

Hey QUIKAG lighten up dude 70 dollars is not going to break me maybe it will break you but if im not happy with the results they will refund my money so cool your jets bud and yes i do have a brain i just like to experiment with my toys if 70 dollars will improve the
performance of my toy thats fine by me so get a life and give your brain a rest and stand up your butt is cutting off air to it

QUIMBO :lol: :lol: :lol: :boxing
Old 08-11-2002, 04:22 PM
Miles in Michigan
Drifting

It's interesting to compare the Tornado website to the Vararam website. On the Tornado website, there are 8 customer testimonials, and 9 from "industry professionals". Vararam has
two customer tutorials, one independant test, and one vendor testimonial.

The tornado website has 5 seperate actual dyno results, vararam has a dyno claim but no dyno numbers.

Both websites have animated GIFs, but the Tornado's is an actual moving tornado, while Vararam only has a flashing image of text.

Both have money back guarentees, but the tornado has a 5% restocking fee.

Compare for yourselves: http://www.tornadofuelsaver.com/ http://www.vararam.com/

The main advantage on the Vararam website it they have someone quoted as saying their product is "bad butt".

Has anyone thought of *combining* the Vararam and Tornado? Between the Vararam's 40+ more horsepower, and the Tornado's 13 more hp (on a mustang mind you, an LS1 would gain 20 at least), not to mention the tornado's 30 ft-lb gain at 2500rpm, an otherwise stock corvette would be a viper killer!
Old 08-11-2002, 05:38 PM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Default Re: The Tornado (Miles in Michigan)

I can't believe the Tornado would work on the C5 because the "screen" (GMspeak is Air Straightener) will have a tougher time "straightening" air if it is miraculously swirling inna vortex (geez, gotta be careful not to use too many brand names here) and ramming (he's at it again!) it into the throttle body...my .02...I will now sit down and wait for your answer! :cheers: :boxing :chevy :seeya :flag
Old 08-11-2002, 05:55 PM
C5 StockSwap
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Hey QUIKAG lighten up dude 70 dollars is not going to break me maybe it will break you but if im not happy with the results they will refund my money so cool your jets bud and yes i do have a brain i just like to experiment with my toys if 70 dollars will improve the
performance of my toy thats fine by me so get a life and give your brain a rest and stand up your butt is cutting off air to it

Quimbo...you are a touch sensitive...I would take a chill pill at this point! I for one would love to hear your results. I'm not going to bash until I hear the results. Let us know!
Old 08-11-2002, 06:12 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

:rolleyes: Your response indicates your level of intelligence. I guess you answered my question. :rolleyes: Have fun sticking that piece of crap into your intake. It just surprises me because based on your attitude I would think you would prefer sticking things up your exhaust. :lol: Have fun low-post-count troll. :smash:
Old 08-11-2002, 07:54 PM
warpster
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<quote> Your response indicates your level of intelligence. I guess you answered my question. Have fun sticking that piece of crap into your intake. It just surprises me because based on your attitude I would think you would prefer sticking things up your exhaust. Have fun low-post-count troll. </quote>

Boy, it doesn't take too much around here lately for people to get personal quickly...any of the vendors carry chill pills? I think we need a group purchase. :D

Get notified of new replies

To The Tornado

Old 08-11-2002, 11:13 PM
Fang S-289
Burning Brakes

Hey Quimbo:

You *did* ask the question, did you not? QUIKAG told it like it is. Isn't the unvarnished truth what you were asking for? Sorry, but he's exactly right. Anytime that you impede the intake air flow, it will not increase power or milage. Common sense prevails on this one. :yesnod:
Old 08-11-2002, 11:31 PM
DaWiz2000HT
Racer

Pure JUNK . I bought one for my 2001 F-150 Ford pickup, and I avg's 11.5 to 12.5 miles a gallon with the Tornado I took it out and now I am avg. 13.5 - 14.5 miles a gallon.

Do yourself a favor an save the $70 and don't buy the Tornado it's a Waste of Money :cheers: :cool: :cool: :jester
Old 08-11-2002, 11:35 PM
quimbo
Drifting

Hey QUIKAG you started with the comment anyone with a brain should know better about this item it will not work so dont get upset when I respond back to your negitive comment you made the first stupid comment

QUIMBO :mad :mad :mad :mad :U

[Modified by quimbo, 3:36 AM 8/12/2002]

Quick Reply: The Tornado