C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Donaldson Blackwing install help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:26 PM
civi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donaldson Blackwing install help please

Ok,

Bought a very used (extremely dirty and smelly) Donaldson Blackwing from a forum member very recently and am going to PM him too, but want to reach out everywhere to get good, accurate information quickly as I have the intake out and in pieces. Seller said it came from a 99, just like mine.

Donaldson P542357

Cleaned and oiled per forum members advice (mineral oil with alcohol chaser) after the Simple Green cleaning.

I am at this point and realize, yup late, that I am missing a piece between the Blackwing and the stock piece. Right? Must be because it is plastic on plastic and the directions on the website say something about a connector piece Seen forum posts about a coupler, ugh.

http://c5forum.com/diy/donaldson.php

http://www.97vette.com/howto/blackwing/index.html

So, any work around? Am I seeing and understanding incorrectly or do I need to contact a vendor to get that missing piece?

Also, is this broken piece that tells me when to clean or maintain the filter need to be replaced or is this broken area not a concern ?

I have the 99 C5 Z51 with no intake mods at all.

Thanks.
Attached Images     

Last edited by civi; 03-19-2015 at 08:43 PM. Reason: added URL
Old 03-19-2015, 09:31 PM
civi
Instructor

Default So

Put it back together so I could actually drive it.

So I guess I answered my own question during this time and took some more pix to get help, unless the seller can come up with it (waiting for PM return).

I took some measurements and was wondering if you guys could come with what part number coupler and from where ? Would love to see this intake on now that I spent two days cleaning it. She's back to being blue again

Thanks.
Attached Images     
Old 03-20-2015, 01:42 AM
civi
Instructor

The seller realized the coupler was needed and has given me some suggestions but basically can someone (someone good with ID/OD knowledge) find me links to the right coupler.

Thank you. Going to browse Amazon now but having this here and not being able to mount it is killing me.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2015, 10:28 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by civi
The seller realized the coupler was needed and has given me some suggestions but basically can someone (someone good with ID/OD knowledge) find me links to the right coupler.

Thank you. Going to browse Amazon now but having this here and not being able to mount it is killing me.

Thanks!
Check on the big auction site (fleabay). That's where I got mine.

P.S. Also check "C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted.

Last edited by runner140*; 03-20-2015 at 10:31 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-20-2015, 10:49 AM
Ray 2000 C5 FRC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless I am missing or seeing something different, in your first picture where you show the old air box, the new bat wing, etc.,, that black coupler on the factory air box needs to slide off and be used on your new bat wing air cleaner.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:04 AM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to lowes and buy a Fernco Proflex 3" to 3" coupler. Part 3000-33. Then turn it inside out and use that as your coupler. They're like $4-5. That's what I did for my used blackwing that the original owner used on his 01-04 and didn't have the coupler for the early MAF.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:51 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

www.Siliconeintakes.com and fine a straight coupler that you need.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:10 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Just a piece of friendly advice: I would've never installed a used filter that old and in such poor condition ( as you describe it). You need to realize that even though the filtering media is cleanable and reusable, it's filtering capacity diminishes with every cleaning and with age.
Good luck and I hope everything works out.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:51 PM
civi
Instructor

Default Thank you.

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Just a piece of friendly advice: I would've never installed a used filter that old and in such poor condition ( as you describe it). You need to realize that even though the filtering media is cleanable and reusable, it's filtering capacity diminishes with every cleaning and with age.
Good luck and I hope everything works out.
Thank you for the advice It is taken as you meant it. Apparently, he had it sitting for several months after removing it. On the other hand, it cleaned up well and by all appearances, it looks great now.

Originally Posted by RedZMonte [url
www.Siliconeintakes.com[/url] and fine a straight coupler that you need.
Thank you. I actually found a reducer/coupler at PepBoys. (Vibrant Performance - VIB 2776 Black Transition Hose 3.5" X 4"ID X 3" Lg. Photo of it attached. Although, when I lined up the stock assembly (minus the airbox), the Blackwing and MAF were overlapping so I had to cut up that piece I got at PepBoys and place it over the black neck of the Blackwing, which sits over the lip of the MAF and tighten the living hades out of it to make it airtight in that area. I really wished I had that adapter. That's my next shopping trip.

Originally Posted by dblerman
Go to lowes and buy a Fernco Proflex 3" to 3" coupler. Part 3000-33. Then turn it inside out and use that as your coupler. They're like $4-5. That's what I did for my used blackwing that the original owner used on his 01-04 and didn't have the coupler for the early MAF.
Thank you. Lowes was my next stop after PepBoys

Originally Posted by Ray 2000 C5 FRC
Unless I am missing or seeing something different, in your first picture where you show the old air box, the new bat wing, etc.,, that black coupler on the factory air box needs to slide off and be used on your new bat wing air cleaner.
I wish it was that easy. At least in mine, the factory rubber one is pretty big. It funnels back into the box.

Originally Posted by runner140*
Check on the big auction site (fleabay). That's where I got mine.

P.S. Also check "C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted.
I thought of it. For sure especially with all the running I did yesterday. PepBoys finally. Thank you
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Donaldson Blackwing install help please

Quick Reply: Donaldson Blackwing install help please