C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Flyer or Anyone assist with turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Evil Oil Apologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio Flyer or Anyone assist with turn signal issue

Is there ever an issue with the DRL harness and flasher unit to cause turn signal to not work?

Driving to work, start the car up and entire driver's side DRL unit is dark. After driving a bit, DRL is on (thank you), but turn signal does not work. Rear turn signal works just fine.

So, the LED's are fine. Need to jump on this quickly, as Dallas traffic makes the turn signal your life saver.

DRL harness or something in the OEM system???
Old 03-20-2015, 11:09 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Does the DRL light go out when you put the turn signal on? Not at home with my DRL schematics now but will follow up later if no one beats me to it.

The DRL and turn signal are the same bulb filament or LED in your case.

I'm mentally thinking it could be the DRL relay. Might try swapping with the driver side one to see in the interim. If your problem moves you have your answer.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Evil Oil Apologist
Racer

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Does the DRL light go out when you put the turn signal on? Not at home with my DRL schematics now but will follow up later if no one beats me to it.

The DRL and turn signal are the same bulb filament or LED in your case.

I'm mentally thinking it could be the DRL relay. Might try swapping with the driver side one to see in the interim. If your problem moves you have your answer.
Light stays steady on when the left turn signal is used.

Good idea on swaping relays. At least eliminates one issue. Thanks!

Odd that when I first cranked up this AM, DRL was dead. Engaged headlights, and it came on. No turn signal, but they were on. Hmmm?!?!?
Old 03-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Evil Oil Apologist
Racer

Originally Posted by Evil Oil Apologist
Light stays steady on when the left turn signal is used.

Good idea on swaping relays. At least eliminates one issue. Thanks!

Odd that when I first cranked up this AM, DRL was dead. Engaged headlights, and it came on. No turn signal, but they were on. Hmmm?!?!?
It's worse. Set the stage. I have the Radio Flyer DRL bulbs with hyperflash harness relay deal. I drop the panel covering the harness to check if connections are good. They're fine. For grins, I pulled the bulbs and switched sides. Now, neither one works. To top that off.....turn the car on, and ALL lights flicker. Gauge, radio, dash, outside lights that include brake, side, everything. Turn on the lights, hyperflash stops. Turn signal lights solid green.

Ran the codes and I'm getting this:
28 TCS C1295H
40 BCM B2578
40 BCM B2583

I'm totally out of my league with this issue.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:02 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Couple of questions:

Did the DRL's LED's work properly at any time?

What happens when you take the DRL LED's out and replace them with the original halogen bulbs?

-----------------------

It's possible the IP light show is due to a defective LED bulb and possibly one or both of those bulbs are not the right ones to put into the DRL socket, don't ask how I know.

Try going back to stock halogen and see how that works.

Last edited by MAC5; 03-21-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Evil Oil Apologist
Racer

Originally Posted by MAC5
Couple of questions:

Did the DRL's LED's work properly at any time?

What happens when you take the DRL LED's out and replace them with the original halogen bulbs?

-----------------------

It's possible the IP light show is due to a defective LED bulb and possibly one or both of those bulbs are not the right ones to put into the DRL socket, don't ask how I know.

Try going back to stock halogen and see how that works.
They worked perfectly a few days ago. Tomorrow, I'm pulling the hyperflash harness with relay, and reconnect the OE connection. That should narrow things down. The LED's will cause a hyperflash on the turn signal, but hopefully everything else goes back to working.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:12 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Everything flashing sounds like the bulbs are in backwards.

The light or filament that illuminates when the headlights are on is not the same as the DRL.

My guess. The problem is either in the turn signal switch or the socket for the original bad DRL. You installed at least one backwards when you swapped sides.

I highly doubt it the harness. The flasher part is basically an all-or-nothing deal. If one side or even just one bulb flashes correctly then the power -> flasher -> turn signal switch parts is fine.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:05 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Sorry I can't help without all the information and schematics on whatever you installed in your car. If you want to provide that then I can.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:47 PM
Evil Oil Apologist
Racer

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Sorry I can't help without all the information and schematics on whatever you installed in your car. If you want to provide that then I can.
Pulled hyperflash harness and plugged it back to OE wire. Nothing changed. Searching relays next.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:56 PM
Evil Oil Apologist
Racer

Pulled hyperflash harness and plugged it back to OE wire. Nothing changed. Searching relays next.
Mystery solved. Put OE bulbs back in, pulled hyperflash harness, and everything works just fine. I'm thinking the relay in the hyperflash harness is the culprit.

All's well that ends well.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:58 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Mystery solved. Put OE bulbs back in, pulled hyperflash harness, and everything works just fine. I'm thinking the relay in the hyperflash harness is the culprit.

If your description is accurate, it seems that your LED bulbs are the ones causing the problem. In your previous post you said you pulled the hyperflash harness and nothing changed, so the relay in the hyperflash harness is probably fine. The fact that everything went back to normal when you swapped back the OE bulbs is pointing to the LEDs. It seems they are defective or they were inserted backwards.

Sent from my DROID TURBO XT1254 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-23-2015, 08:27 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Glad you are back to normal. I suggest in the future you tell us everything you have done to modify the circuits we are trying to diagnosis. Otherwise we do not have all the information we need.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:46 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Glad you gotter done.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:39 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

This says it's not the not the harness.

This says it's the LED bulbs causing the problem.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:54 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Agreed, sounds like the bulbs.

I had an issue with one of my RF bulbs going out shortly after my initial install. I replaced the bulbs with some from a retrosolutions. If you do have to purchase bulbs, make sure they are low profile. I initially purchased a pair from Amazon for cheap but they were too long to fit in the housing so I had to pick up another pair.

Get notified of new replies

To Radio Flyer or Anyone assist with turn signal issue

Quick Reply: Radio Flyer or Anyone assist with turn signal issue