C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATI C5 Damper Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 11:58 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ATI C5 Damper Install

So I am looking at installing an ATI damper on my car, but in their instructions, they call out some manual transmission cars that have weights in the outer rim of the damper. All they say is that there is you need to note the orientation of the damper relative to the crankshaft as there is no keyway to do this for you. It doesn't say anything about adding weights to their damper, which I don't think you can do anyway. Has anyone installed on ATI damper on an LS1 with weights on the OEM pulley? If so, did you have any issues or am I SOL for installing this thing?

I've searched and can't find anything specifically calling out OEM balance pins other than the fact that LS1's are externally balanced. For reference my car is a 2004 coupe with the manual transmission.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:59 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

You can't transfer the weights to an ATI damper, but the damper works so much better than the stock one, the weights are not needed. If you end up with vibration issues, take the old balancer to a machine shop and have them match balance the new balancer. I haven't heard of anyone needing to do that though. Go ahead and mark the orientation though just in case.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Cheesecake 07
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Never heard of that at the time...so removed stock balancer and installed the ATI. Never checked for weights and installed the ATI in whatever random position its in. As smooth if not better than stock.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:50 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SaberD
take the old balancer to a machine shop and have them match balance the new balancer.
That's exactly what a mechanic friend of mine said. Thanks!

Any idea of a good machine shop that can do this in Texas? I called the one in San Angelo and they said they can only do full assemblies (crank and all). I'm definitely not pulling the engine out of my car for this.

Get notified of new replies

To ATI C5 Damper Install

Quick Reply: ATI C5 Damper Install