C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Codes P1637 & P1638 Explanation

Old 03-25-2015, 09:02 AM
GLF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Codes P1637 & P1638 Explanation

I just replaced the alternator (after the original one had tested bad) and I got the following 2 error codes:
P1637 - Generator L-Terminal Circuit
P1638 - Generator F-Terminal Circuit

What exactly do these codes indicate? The description or error message in the driver info center was "Charging System Failure". At first I thought this was just due to removing and replacing alternator.

Thanks. I wanted to determine if there was anything within the Vette that may be the issue (like a fuse or whatever) or if it's the starter. The remanufactured starter has a lifetime warranty, just didn't think it'd be such a short life. At least alternator swap only takes about 10 minutes.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:49 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Your profile indicates that you have LT Headers. I would start with the connections at the starter solenoid. LT's are notorious for cooking the wires and connections at the starter solenoid. The battery and alternator connect through the connections there..........

I am assuming you have the correct Valero alternator and not some clone that "fits all",
I was thinking wrong alternator... if he just replaced. If he had no codes before swapping... I assume the cooked wires at the starter would cause codes, and he would have had those, before the swap?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Codes P1637 & P1638 Explanation