C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upper oil pan gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 03:29 PM
cuzracecar
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upper oil pan gasket question

For those who have done this In the garage, is it necessary to support the engine when the front cradle is being dropped? (Like the use of a transverse bar/ support jig for a fwd car)
I thought the tranny being bolted to it would be enough but I've found some conflicting information while searching and would like to hear your guys opinions/experiences.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:13 PM
cuzracecar
Heel & Toe

No one?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:24 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes. The only thing holding the motor up is the cradle. You will need to use an engine lift probably because the part of the motor youd be supporting from the bottom is the part that needs to come off.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:28 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Yes I have done the upper pan gasket as the other poster said u have to support the engine cause there is nothing holding it up. At the time I read its easy for that gasket to go slightly 1-2 mm out of alignment when reassembling the pans and there was this expensive alignment tool just for that one reason, so I researched this more and bought from a small internet LS1 store or they sell them on fleabay.. there are hard to find but not impossible, a LS1 oil pan SS stud kit.

Cost like 20 bucks(comes with studs washers and nuts) and it fits fine with the lower batwing pan in place, and when you install the studs with the allen wrench the gasket goes straight up on the studs, snugged and completely aligned and the gasket stays up there on it's own(which makes it so easy) so it's a cheap way of aligning the upper gasket properly. Didn't want to risk the gasket being off slightly and having a leak cause its so time consuming to right that wrong of course. Just a suggestion. Good luck! It's no biggie.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:14 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

To be honest if it were me Id pull the motor to do the job and check everything else at the same time. Maybe swap the front and rear main seal also.

I dont really like working for that long under and motor dangling from a chain and two bolts.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:22 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

I didn't use a chain and 2 bolts.. although I spent dozens of hours under my Z with 18 " of clearance. No biggie, if I recall I used a 2 ton jack with wood and thick towels under the crank when under the Z, then moved around various jack stands when assembling the pans. PITA but it worked with no problems at all. Everyone has their own ways of getting a job done on their cars.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:58 AM
cuzracecar
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all the responses guy, I have a habit of researching things b4 actually digging into/looking at it. Ended up fabricating a plate that bolted up to the exhaust manifold and used a cherry picker. Worked pretty slick lol

Get notified of new replies

To upper oil pan gasket question

Quick Reply: upper oil pan gasket question